Old Style Champions League

The current format is like a tennis competition - seeded so it is predictable to see the usual suspects in and around the last four.
The European Cup was tough or easier depending on who you drew against to play. That was the beauty of it in allowing Villa and Forest to go on and win it with an open draw each round.

You’re contradicting yourself. If we went back to the old knockout system for just the Champions, Chelsea would have been the sole English representatives in it this season and they finished further behind City than Liverpool did.

More to the point Liverpool would not qualify for next years Champs league ,so not a contradiction , the "Champions" qualify for the following seasons competition only

One competition: The European Club Championship.
128 clubs including all champions plus qualifiers selected on league position.
32 groups, winners thru to knock out comp. No seeding, open draw.
That makes 17 games to win it.

Th
One competition: The European Club Championship.
128 clubs including all champions plus qualifiers selected on league position.
32 groups, winners thru to knock out comp. No seeding, open draw.
That makes 17 games to win it.

17 too much mate . Shouldn’t be more than 12/13

Th

17 too much mate . Shouldn’t be more than 12/13
Yeah, that was my worry. You could add a first round knock out, so ther would only be 16 groups and winners only going thru. That would be 13 games. Money is the problem, they all want more. But i dislike the idea of losers qualfying for a second rate tourney and winning a trophy. The Europa cup is a joke.

I don’t think clubs who haven’t won a league title for more than a decade should be allowed to play in it. So, Spurs’ and Liverpool’s place would go to the next highest recent league winning team of the last decade.

This is the CHAMPIONS League, not the Let-any-old-failure-in League.

Plus, to qualify for it you have to finish high up in a LEAGUE format yet you get into it and half the comp is a knock-out Cup competition. It should just be a smaller number of teams in a league format.

It’s the Champions LEAGUE, not the Champions knock-out-Cup.

I don’t think clubs who haven’t won a league title for more than a decade should be allowed to play in it. So, Spurs’ and Liverpool’s place would go to the next highest recent league winning team of the last decade.

This is the CHAMPIONS League, not the Let-any-old-failure-in League.

Plus, to qualify for it you have to finish high up in a LEAGUE format yet you get into it and half the comp is a knock-out Cup competition. It should just be a smaller number of teams in a league format.

It’s the Champions LEAGUE, not the Champions knock-out-Cup.
An interesting twist, next year’s combatants would be us, United, Chelsea and Leicester

In fact how long would it have been since the Mighty Liverpool had been in it?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.