Old Style Champions League

I think UEFA are missing a trick. They should re-format it to the Champion's Cup and have only the champions of respective leagues in this competition again. Have the existing 8 x groups of 4 with subsequent round of 16 then QF, SF, and Final. They could make other leagues like the former Yugoslav, Romanian, Scandinavian teams more famous and allow these countries' domestic leagues to strengthen.

Old-style UEFA Cup could be just as prestigious with 2nd-5th teams from the bigger countries represented and you will still have lots of big games.

You have used a point that I have advanced to support my argument (re: population) and somewhat simplistically (or disingenuously) frameworked that as the sole basis for my argument. For the avoidance of doubt, my point in relation to population was illustrative and not literal, as that would be somewhat anomalous to the present system, which I am broadly (and manifestly) supportive of. Perhaps it is you that needs to think things through.

Your contention that ‘only the very best qualified’ by dint of them being champions of their respective leagues is also simplistic, plainly wrong, as well as being a circular argument. The notion that the champions of Denmark are better than the second placed team in Germany or Spain (for example) is absurd, and so your argument is then reduced to a personal preference about the format. Fair enough, and fully understandable, but your responses to my original post have conspicuously failed to address my original point that the present format best represents the spread of talent across Europe, which I maintain it does, certainly far more effectively that the previous format; which, as you state, was a more ‘simple concept’. The most simple concepts are rarely the fairest; FPTP being an example of this (imo). It might provide stronger government and more decisive results in general elections, but it is unrepresentative of the votes cast nationally and therefore could not be described as objectively and relatively ‘fair’ (imo). Eddie the Eagle was the best ski jumper from these shores in the late 80’s, but it doesn’t mean he could readily be described as ‘only the very best’ in his sport, irrespective of his commendable achievements, palpable bravery and the associated warm narrative. Presumably you would describe his exclusion from the Calgary Olympics in 1988 on the grounds of him simply not being good enough as ‘convoluted bollocks’.

For those reasons I (broadly) support the present format, with the caveat that I previously supplied.
Fair play, shoehorning Eddie the Eagle into a thread on the merits of Europe's elite trophy! Reminds me of the time when Annabelle Croft was the "Number 1 UK female tennis player" to which my Grandad would reply, "aye, your Nanna's number 2. And she's been dead sixteen years." Will have to agree to disagree on the cup format.

Fair play, shoehorning Eddie the Eagle into a thread on the merits of Europe's elite trophy! Reminds me of the time when Annabelle Croft was the "Number 1 UK female tennis player" to which my Grandad would reply, "aye, your Nanna's number 2. And she's been dead sixteen years." Will have to agree to disagree on the cup format.
Fair enough :-)

At least I agreed with you on turning the coach around!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.