Old TV Series You Remember Fondly ...

Sam Armstrong

Was reminiscing earlier and got to thinking about a few programmes I remember watching as a kid/growing up which I don't recall having been repeated on tv .... certainly not within recent memory.

Okay, a few to start with ...

The Champions - the British action, espionage/science fiction/occult detective series with the late beautiful Alexandra Bastedo, William Gaunt & Stuart Damon.

The Tomorrow People - the kid's science fiction series with Mike Holoway out of the 70's group Flintlock.

The Flashing Blade - French historical series set in the late 1600s all about a spy trying to rescue a garrison if I recall correctly.

Joe 90, Captain Scarlett, Fireball XL5 & Stingray - four Gerry & Sylvia Anderson puppet shows with Steve Zodiac commanding the rocketship XL5 & Troy Tempest piloting Stingray. With the success (okay that's open to debate for us wrinklies) of the new CGI Thunderbirds series I'm surprised that Stingray & the somewhat darker Captain Scarlett haven't been given similar treatment!

Billy Liar - the 1970s fantasist series starting Drop The Dead Donkey's George (Jeff Rawle) which, and this may be because of my age at the time, I recall as being slightly risqué.

Ruland Weekend Television - a Monty Pythonesque spin off for Eric Idle, Neil Innes & Geen Taylor which spawned the spoof of the Beatles mock-umentary Rutles film and songs such as The Fool On The Pill & Your Mother Should Go!!

Finally (because otherwise I'll be here all night adding stuff .... the list actually started off as JUST The Champions & grew & grew) the absolutely brilliant Goodies!!! I used to laugh my head off at stuff like the Ancient Art Of 'Ecky Thump & Kitten Kong!! Sadly they are now seen as politically incorrect so will probably never be shown again ... a great loss!!

Sure others have their favourites they miss as well but does anyone share my feelings and miss these classics too???

(Apologies Mods If, in essence this is a duplication of the TV Series thread .... feel free to move & merge it if necessary)

Sapphire and Steel and V was the big series that i can remember giving me the wow factor as a kid

Kids programmes;

Grange Hill - of the Zammo, Ro-land, Trevor Cleavor era

Jossy's Giants - written by the legendary Sid Widdell

We are the Champions - wouldnt be allowed these days, an old bloke around all those kids in a swimming pool

Thundercats - i liked a lot of cartoons but this was the best

Knightmare - where am I? Bit dark, especially when the face started peeling off in the corner - oh dear team

Tizwas - all the cool kids watched Tizwas, the wrong uns watched Edmunds on BBC

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (ignore the last series, set in a commune).
Porridge
The Professionals (cracking theme tune)
The Persuaders
Minder
Starsky and Hutch
Citizen Smith

Those off the top of my head.

Some of those have been repeated recently though haven't they Jim?? Certainly Porridge and, if I recall correctly, Reggie Perrin has too.

I believe theycare doing a Citizen Smith special soon so, with a little luck, the original series with Wolfie will be repeated.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.