OLED - is it worth it?

Okay I have another question. Maybe the experts here can help me out since I don't have any technical knowledge on TVs.
What is the 60 Hz and 120 Hz rate? If my TV supports 120Hz, does that mean the games will look nice? I saw somewhere that it has something to do with HDMI 2.1 but apparently tvs with HDMI 2.1 cost a lot.
Anyone care to explain to me in layman terms?

Okay I have another question. Maybe the experts here can help me out since I don't have any technical knowledge on TVs.
What is the 60 Hz and 120 Hz rate? If my TV supports 120Hz, does that mean the games will look nice? I saw somewhere that it has something to do with HDMI 2.1 but apparently tvs with HDMI 2.1 cost a lot.
It’s witchcraft mate, that’s all you need to know.

Last of the 3D genre the E series and watching Avatar in 3D blew us both away, as we stretched out olden arms to catch the love orbs that came out of the set into our room. The E series was near flagship in 2017 with built in Harmon Kardon speakers. Really pleased your set is still fine mate and not every one will get burn out as it's particular to an individuals viewing habits. If you watch a static image such as a logo repeatedly for long enough however then regardless of the sets healing properties you may encounter it. No further burn out on ours save for the good morning Britain logo bottom left corner and only really visible on the red spectrum. The OLED format has become more sophisticated with advancing years and for a lot of people burn out shouldn't be a problem, but it does exist and it pays to be aware. A beyond the brilliant TV is the OLED and we shall 100% buy another when LG offers a warranty against their operating dilemmas.

I usually catch the Love Orbs just as they're falling out of the wife's arsehole. Saves the sheets.

I usually catch the Love Orbs just as they're falling out of the wife's arsehole. Saves the sheets.
If your good lady wife could crack Love Orbs from out her arsehole, then without hesitation would I nominate her a keeper. I predict a long, happy and contented marriage for you both as you munch your way through Silver, Pearl and Diamond wedding anniversaries, so more power to her sphincter : /

I asked my missus if she could do the same, but retorted all she could do was make it whistle the theme tune to Mac The Knife. She was being her usual bone dry self as this is all I sing on the Karaoke.

Last edited:

Its all to do with frames per second, the higher the number the smoother the graphics will look when moving.

most current gen games run at 30fps ( 30Hz ), with some hitting 60 fps ( 60Hz ). the new generation are touting that 120Hz is the target so 120fps.

the thing is, the human eyes see at about 24Hz. so anything past that point is classed as a blurring effect. which a lot of games that run at 30fps add to make the game look smooth.

it becomes obvious when you do fast horizontal movements mostly. so if you play a first person shooter and rotate fast in a direction, the lower the frame rate the more juddery the scene will feel to you. that horizontal motion tends to be limited on consoles though due to the controller. on PC you have the mouse which can do a full 360 rotation in fractions of a second.

this will give you an exaggerated idea as the person who made the video has slowed the footage down by 2 and 4 times to show the effect.

the HDMI levels will just be related to the amount of data being passed through to the TV, I dont think the older HDMI has the bandwidth to push enough data though. there are a lot of extras being pushed in there too ( HDR etc ) so this is probably a simplistic view.

I have a 2016 LG OLED, about 1.5yrs in i started to get burn in images, just feint images from logos like Sky Sports and Netflix that would be visible at times. 2yrs in they were very visible, on anything green (FOOTBALL PITCHES FFS!), red or blue. Now i have these huge fucking wavy lines going from left to right across the whole screen, only visible when the picture is the same colours as above but it's basically meant that watching football is now nearly unbearable. I spoke to Richer Sounds as it comes with a 6yr warranty and the **** cost me 1.5k. They tell me manufacturers don't cover burn in as they say its caused by irregular watching. I mean what a piss take, charge so much for a TV and you're not allowed to watch what you want for as long as you want. The only repair for this is a new screen, which funnily enough you can't find anywhere as a spare part to do yourself and have to send it off to LG, who charge as much as a new TV.

LG are aware of burn in issues, in fact they have put in technological changes into their newer TV's to try and help avoid it where possible, but they deny that it is their TV's issue. I would seriously think twice before getting another one, i needed a second TV and just paid the same amount but got the best LED tv you could buy instead, that won't have this issue.

Walked into Costco today and saw one of these in the flesh for the first time. Were now debating spending the best part of £1700 on a TV.l, and I'm a right tight ****. They are absolutely amazing
Careful mate. They are amazing in certain respects, but less so in others. So it's important you go into such a major purchase with your eyes open, so to speak.

Pros
  • Fabulous, true black levels. When the scene calls for black, you get black, not some washed out grey like with some LCD (LED or QLED is still LCD) TV's.
  • So the images also do have some more "pop" to them because of the increased contrast.
  • Viewing angles are great - the picture looks good from all seating positions in the room.
Cons
  • They don't do "nearly black" very well at all so you can get visible vertical banding in very dark scenes and also vignetting (darkened sides of the screen).
  • They can't do many different near-black levels either, so you can get visible blockiness in the picture with transition from one black area on screen to another nearly black area. Especially true of poor, low quality video content, e.g. ITV HD on Sky.
  • Also, the colour uniformity is often not great, with e.g. snow scenes with patches of yellow or blue or purple being clearly visible. These problems are very common in the 65" and above models. Less so in the 55's.
  • They don't go as bright as LCD and are therefore not as good in brightly lit rooms and for daytime viewing
  • They can suffer from screen burn much more easily than LCD, especially if you like gaming for example, with fixed graphics on screen for prolonged periods.

But overall, they do give the best picture and most people put up with the limitations quite happily. It depends how much of a perfectionist you are.

Q95T delivered, wall mounted and up and running.

Bought my Sony KDL-46W905 back in 2013, top of the range 1080p and it's picture was and still is amazing but this thing is in a different level. Also got a Panasonic 4k blu ray player to really test it out and just waiting on Game of Thrones complete box set 4k to be delivered now :-)

I have a 2016 LG OLED, about 1.5yrs in i started to get burn in images, just feint images from logos like Sky Sports and Netflix that would be visible at times. 2yrs in they were very visible, on anything green (FOOTBALL PITCHES FFS!), red or blue. Now i have these huge fucking wavy lines going from left to right across the whole screen, only visible when the picture is the same colours as above but it's basically meant that watching football is now nearly unbearable. I spoke to Richer Sounds as it comes with a 6yr warranty and the **** cost me 1.5k. They tell me manufacturers don't cover burn in as they say its caused by irregular watching. I mean what a piss take, charge so much for a TV and you're not allowed to watch what you want for as long as you want. The only repair for this is a new screen, which funnily enough you can't find anywhere as a spare part to do yourself and have to send it off to LG, who charge as much as a new TV.

LG are aware of burn in issues, in fact they have put in technological changes into their newer TV's to try and help avoid it where possible, but they deny that it is their TV's issue. I would seriously think twice before getting another one, i needed a second TV and just paid the same amount but got the best LED tv you could buy instead, that won't have this issue.

It's what put me off in the end this week. Heart was set in the new LG GX but the burn in from Sky News and the kids pausing live TV just put me off in the end and I think I've made the right decision.

Unless you intend on using your TV for the new ps5 or xbox series x I wouldn't bother.

The new consoles can play games in 4K at 120 frames per second (120hz)

Some TV's that say 120 hz will only do that at 1080p, the HDMI 2.1 means it can do 120hz at 4k.

I'm looking at an LG CX series.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.