OLED - is it worth it?

Decided yesterday to give up on my 2016 LG OLED 65”. The picture was mind blowing in the early days but ended up being the worst tv purchase of my life. I just hope the screen tech has improved for newer customers, I won’t be going back to OLED until I’m convinced it’s reliable long term. Horrible burn in from all the expect channel logos and colours deformed in the centre of the screen. It was amazing in the early days but now it’s unwatchable. John Lewis won’t cover it due to burn in, I might try with LG directly. I bit the bullet and ordered the same size Samsung ‘the frame’ QLED with delivery tomorrow.

There was trouble with the 2016 and 2017 in respect of the red pixels burning/wearing out prematurely.
2018 sets had an enlarged (new formula) pixel that in a lot of ways helped.

My 2017 OLED suffered the wearing of the centre part of the image. As the red pixels degraded a big greenish patch appeared.
I would admit to running the OLED (power) at a higher level than most at around 70 for SDR and 100 for HDR.
I'm from a background of CRT projector and Plasma, so i know how to look after my kit in regard Logo's and static images.
But just 18 months before it was trashed was a joke.

The replacement 2017 panel they put in actually used the newer tech.
So far so good.

I now run the panel at 45 for SDR, and leave the TV to set to default for HDR with Dolby Vision doing its own thing.

I've not seen much talk about this burn out affecting the latest sets, but maybe it's too early yet.

I can't help but think that there have to be reasons that Samsung has chosen to stick with QLED(cost, reliability, overall brightness etc) and I expect they will jump on board with OLED in the TV space, when they feel the time is right. Samsung were actually one of the first tech giants to do OLEDs and became one of the largest manufacturers of them back in 2002, they've just opted to keep it strictly to mobile devices for now.

I'd probably get a QLED too given the choice, I've heard the Chinese TCL-6 series holds up very well compared to the R90 series for much less though. In movies at least but it's not as good of an all rounder as the Samsungs, as you'd expect.

There was trouble with the 2016 and 2017 in respect of the red pixels burning/wearing out prematurely.
2018 sets had an enlarged (new formula) pixel that in a lot of ways helped.

My 2017 OLED suffered the wearing of the centre part of the image. As the red pixels degraded a big greenish patch appeared.

Just been through this with a 2017 LG OLED, Simpsons have been green for a few months now. Thankfully the John Lewis 5 year guarantee covered it, and it's being swapped out with a new set on friday as they no longer make the panel on the existing set. 5 year warranty starts again and even made £250 profit as the replacement offer wasn't in stock, so they gave me store credit, Set came back in at a discounted price a few days later.

It's what put me off in the end this week. Heart was set in the new LG GX but the burn in from Sky News and the kids pausing live TV just put me off in the end and I think I've made the right decision.
AFAIK the newer LG's have been updated to minimize the risk of burn in, but it's a huge issue. But believe me when i say this mate, it's fucking ruined my TV and the fact that they won't fix it for free, considering how much i paid for it, is a complete piss take. I want to watch Sky and Netflix for as long as i fucking want to. I watched the game last night on it and the swirl marks in the middle of the screen are just impossible to ignore, its horrendous.

AFAIK the newer LG's have been updated to minimize the risk of burn in, but it's a huge issue. But believe me when i say this mate, it's fucking ruined my TV and the fact that they won't fix it for free, considering how much i paid for it, is a complete piss take. I want to watch Sky and Netflix for as long as i fucking want to. I watched the game last night on it and the swirl marks in the middle of the screen are just impossible to ignore, its horrendous.

Have you tried the pixel refresher app? should be built in to the TV.

i Openly admit I've never seen this tried so no idea if its just a gimik.

This Samsung Q95T is an incredible TV and really happy I went with the QLED. 4k and HDR is blowing me away on it and even standard TV is a step above.

I can't help but think that there have to be reasons that Samsung has chosen to stick with QLED(cost, reliability, overall brightness etc) and I expect they will jump on board with OLED in the TV space, when they feel the time is right. Samsung were actually one of the first tech giants to do OLEDs and became one of the largest manufacturers of them back in 2002, they've just opted to keep it strictly to mobile devices for now.
Probably worried about being forced to replace them. Manufacturers generally rely on people being ignorant of the law, but products are required to be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. They'd be hard-pushed to argue that 2 or 3 years is reasonable for a TV costing in the thousands, so perhaps Samsung decided that it's not worth the risk.

Have you tried the pixel refresher app? should be built in to the TV.

i Openly admit I've never seen this tried so no idea if its just a gimik.

Self Quote.

very indepth view on pixel refresh. sounds like the newer TV's do it all automatically. a quick refresh after 4hours of viewing and a deep refresh after 2000.

but it can strain the screen if done too often. so if you start to see some ghosting that isn't going away after a few minutes of changing channels etc then run pixel refresh manually.

Last edited:
Just been through this with a 2017 LG OLED, Simpsons have been green for a few months now. Thankfully the John Lewis 5 year guarantee covered it, and it's being swapped out with a new set on friday as they no longer make the panel on the existing set. 5 year warranty starts again and even made £250 profit as the replacement offer wasn't in stock, so they gave me store credit, Set came back in at a discounted price a few days later.
John Lewis rarely come up cheapest in a price comparison test but when they offer a 5yr warranty and honour it no quibble, then it's defo worth paying a little extra for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.