#11 | Oleksandr Zinchenko - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plays left back for the Netherlands doesn’t he?
He did, but spent more games at centre back in the euro qualifiers and nations league. It's a position he used to play and could fill in at in an emergency rather than a position he plays. Besides, there's very few defenders with the skillset to do what Zinchenko does for us, Cancelo, Alaba, possibly Porro in time, so I don't think Ake could be a replacement there as much as emergency cover and he wasn't much cop as a wing back when he played there. Rather get an out and out wing back if we can shift Mendy and use Ake where he's best - centre back.

Look no further than our current squad. Ake is much quicker, better defensively and is threat on corners with his heading ability which also helps defending corners. He’s also a leader.
The question asked was which left backs could play Zinchenko's "current role better than him". You 'e rightly referring to Ake's positives but Zinchenko's current role is much different. You make no reference to Ake's left side attacking capabilities, linking with and joining our midfield, his stamina to regularly get up to the edge of our opponents box and cover attacks, his crossing ability and overall pass accuracy. I think he is one of 4 centre backs and left back if needed and gives the option of playing on left side of a back 3. Stones can play centre back and cover right back if needed but I don't see him playing Cancelo's current role, a Pep type right back, just as, for all his qualities, I don't see Ake fulfilling Zinchenko's current role, a Pep type left back.

To be fair, you could have reasonably asked that question of Zinchenko a few years back
I did. Ake is 26 now and has not established himself as a left back.
Zinchenko was a 19/20 yo. kid when he was first played at left back for City, there was no previous PL record to evaluate him on. He now has 2 PL, 1 FA CUP & 2 EFL Cup titles earned before reaching 23 years old, plus 1 EFL medal in 2020, almost entirely earned as a "left back" despite the fact that still posters cannot accept him as any more than a stand in left back.

Well, based on the last 20 or so posts, I guess I can say it now:

Oleksandr Zinchencko a World Class leftback :)

That was 4 years in the making...

Haha I can’t believe you said it again. I know you’re not really calling Zinchenko a WORLD CLASS left back.

We’re beginning to sound like rags here who notoriously overrate their own players. See Tom Cleverley one of many examples.

Zinchenko is a good player but he’s not top class. He is working well in a system that is currently suiting his strengths. Delph did the same for a season, moved to Everton and is still struggling to get in to the team there.

If Zinchenko were to move, it wouldn’t be to a Top, top club to be first choice LB.

Does anyone here really think he would get into Real Madrid’s team or PSG or Bayern or even Chelsea? Liverpool? Even Arsenal?

Let’s be honest. He wouldn’t.

I support Zinchenko as he is a City player. He stayed, worked hard and always gives his all.

At the moment he is even first choice LB for me in the team. At least until we see more of Ake at LB like he played against Newcastle.

Haha I can’t believe you said it again. I know you’re not really calling Zinchenko a WORLD CLASS left back.

We’re beginning to sound like rags here who notoriously overrate their own players. See Tom Cleverley one of many examples.

Zinchenko is a good player but he’s not top class. He is working well in a system that is currently suiting his strengths. Delph did the same for a season, moved to Everton and is still struggling to get in to the team there.

If Zinchenko were to move, it wouldn’t be to a Top, top club to be first choice LB.

Does anyone here really think he would get into Real Madrid’s team or PSG or Bayern or even Chelsea? Liverpool? Even Arsenal?

I support Zinchenko as he is a City player. He stayed, worked hard and always gives his all.

At the moment he is even first choice LB for me in the team. At least until we see more of Ake at LB like he played against Newcastle.
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

If asked to play LB like Robertson he would struggle, but asked to play in the current City setup he does extremely well. I think the setup has a lot to do with it, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Cancelo coming in and doing what he does, has taken a lot of focus away from what Zin does or doesn't do. Previously the full back partnership of Zin and Walker, really showed how we were lacking in that department, and a lot of weeks it was a horrible watch. Cancelo being better on the ball, and more offensive than Walker has meant that Zin keeping it simple is perfectly acceptable, and I am unsure how effective adding a Cancelo like left back into the side would be. It might be fantastic, or it might upset the balance of the side completely.

There is a risk with any transfer and on current form, I wouldn't say that replacing Zin was a priority in comparison to other positions. He has his limitations, but is thriving in our current set up. There is no guarantee that bringing in a name LB improves us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.