Oleksandr Zinchenko

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by WallyA, 14 May 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easy

Easy

Otamendi has made a remarkable transformation but to be fair I did say he has delivered a number of world class performances prior to this season, his only issue was consistency which I thought would be hard to improve given his mature age.

Now Zinchenko, you have argued so much that Zinchenko will be a world class left back that now you don’t want to give it up. One of the most ridiculous opinions I have read on blue moon by the way :)

Even the times he has been great, he played a direct part in the conceding of goals.

Where do you think he’ll play next season? Will he stay here as 3rd/4th choice LB or will Pep promote him to 4th choice midfielder having played a total of zero minutes in that position??

I just don’t get it.

2. Easy

Easy

Are you really comparing 17 year old Foden to 21 year old Zinchenko???

Tbf he has done much better than expected but my point is there too much hype for him. Suddenly he is amazing talent that will be with us for years.

I just don’t see it. There will be no place for him in the squad next season.

Does it make sense to keep him as 3rd/4th choice leftback?? Hasn’t played a minute on the wing or in midfield so that makes it obvious that Pep doesn’t see him playing there for City.

So I am struggling to see where he fits in next season. Think it’s most likely he is sold, possibly with a buy back.

3. Dax777

Dax777

I've never argued that Zichencko we'll be a world class leftback. I've argued that in our system he has the potential to be a world class leftback. There is a big difference between the 2, but I often ignore it when a silly poster like Pudge makes the point.

As for this repetition of "he will never be a 'real' leftback." I find that funny. I at one time suggested Zee could play LB, many disagreed. That was an acceptable point of disagreement. I thought one thing, and others thought something else... Cool.

But we've long since past that point. The greatest coach of my generation has said he can play leftback. That question has since been answered.

So you can see why I get amused when I see responses that pretend it hasn't. Zee is a leftback. He is other things too. A CM, an RM. But he is also definitely a LB. Pep said so. And that's that. Everything else is a bit superfluous.

To answer your question: My prediction hasn't changed. I believe, he'll be the backup fullback to Mendy.

4. Easy

Easy

When I say he is not a leftback, I mean thats not his main position i.e. a top club won't buy him to be their starting LB.

So you think he'll be Mendy's back up? :) I mean its not impossible but I think Delph or maybe even Angelino or we buy a LB are all more likelier options.

5. burnley blue mcfc

burnley blue mcfc

He has the potential to be a top player, but he gives the ball away far to much, i know he’s playing out of position, but we won’t win champs lg with him as him as our left back

6. Dax777

Dax777

At 92% and 5th best at keeping the ball in the whole squad. I'm sure you can see how I'm having a bit of a struggle reconciling the above with the facts.

7. Dax777

Dax777

But that's because he isn't a starting LB..... Yet! :)

Yes, I genuinely think he will. And not on the basis of his performance, which has been quite good overall (attempts to paint a contrary picture by some notwithstanding), but also because of how I forsee things likely panning out.

I think Delph is more likely to be sold because of his injury woes. The way I see it, Zee can play every position Delph can play, plus a few others. Plus he is 7 years younger, and he is more like Otamendi (quite healthy) while Delph is more like Kompany (often injured).

Giving the choice of who to keep to backup a LB coming back from major injury, common sense suggests, you keep the younger, healthier and more versatile option. I could be wrong, but it seems an easy choice if you ignore emotions.

Delph's only advantage, is that he is home grown, but I don't think this will be enough of factor.

So if my Delph's reasoning pans out, that leaves eithet buying another LB, Angelino or Zee. The former is just a pipe dream until we know what Mendy offers I reckon there will not be a new LB brought in.

So in a sense, the question is: Will it be Angelino or Zee. To which I believe the advantage lies with Zee early on.

And that's why I concluded by 'guessing' he'd be the backup LB come next season.

8. decmancity

decmancity

Every minute he spends at LB he is learning, positioning and tackling is not something he has ever had to work on and so far that is all he is struggling with. His build up, possession of the ball and effort have been good so far and that is what Pep I am sure is loving. He is in an interesting predicament next year, has proven himself prem capable but has a hell of a lot of competition across the field. Will he like to sit on the bench and be a cup player, not sure. We could definitely get a nice fee for him now though after his exposure in the last few months.

9. Metalartin

Metalartin

I don't think we should make too much of the fact he struggled against Shaqiri, it actually looked like Lambert could have highlighted LB as a weakness for us as he is better going forward than he is defending it's no secret. The good thing is his head didn't seem to drop, nor his workrate, there was no sulking so it might just be one of the many learning experiences into fulfilling the LB role in his eyes.

I still think we will be buying in a LB in the summer but then again a fit Mendy always starts and who knows if our top targets mean we will have to save elsewhere and take a chance on sticking with what we have, hoping he improves and grows into the role as young players do.

10. ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Delph has surprised at LB, but so has Zin. With his age and injury record helping him, I think he (as a young back-up to Mendy, with Danilo the first choice RB back up and add’l LB back up) has a better chance of staying than Delph. That said, if Soton go down, Bertrand will want out, and he is homegrown, too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.