Oleksandr Zinchenko

Discussion in 'Player Performances' started by WallyA, 14 May 2017.

1. Neville Kneville

Neville Kneville

Delph can defend & isn't a particularly great deliverer of a bal, hence better keeping it simple. Zinchenko can't defend & is a really good deliverer of a ball, but is becoming less effective than Delph in the final 3rd, Delph is 'homegrown' & Zinchenko isn't.

If Zinchenko is to keep his place, it has to be a leap of faith by Pep, as he hasn't shown any great capacity to create & isn't great at defending.

2. Thaksinssoldier

Thaksinssoldier

you know what Pep loves more than anything? Keeping the ball moving. Zinchcliffe has been excellent at it. I'd say he's better for Sane on the left for that reason than Delph is(and I really rate Delph).

Yes, he's very shaky defensively so far. I just don't think we'll give up on him based on the evidence so far. Could be a phenomenal squad player for a few roles. If English we wouldn't even be contemplating it.

3. domalino

domalino

If he was English he'd still take up a foreign spot next season, or we'd need to sell one of Sterling, Walker, Delph or Stones to accomodate him, so actually I think we'd be in exactly the same position we're in now.

If do agree that if he was an academy player, or he was 18 then things would probably be different and he'd definitely stay.

4. Cobra

Cobra

That makes no sense whatsoever. There is a minimum requirement of 4 homegrown players, not a maximum. If he was English it would just mean one less foreign place in the 25

5. domalino

domalino

There is no minimum requirement of homegrown players, there is a maximum of 17 foreign players.

For CL purposes (and therefore our squad building purposes because no one wants a two tier squad) you can then have up to 8 homegrown players, although only 4 of them can be association trained - that's Delph, Sterling, Walker, Stones. The rest must be club trained, playing 3 continuous seasons between 18 and 21 at your club.

So if we want another English player like Bertrand for example, he can't take up one of those 4 association trained spots, he has to take up one of the 17 foreign player spots.

The Premier League doesn't differentiate between club trained and association trained - as far as they are concerned you can have 8 association trained players, but that doesn't work when you're in Europe as you'd then have to cut players from the CL squad and only play them in the league is just generally shit, and as we saw when Nasri and Jovetic got left out 3 years ago, can turn things quite sour with players getting unhappy and agents mouthing off.

There is no minimum amount of homegrown players. Chelsea won the league with 3 in 2015. In theory you could have no homegrown players at all if you can make do with a 17 person squad.

Last edited: 11 May 2018
  6. Cobra

Cobra

7. Andrew___K

Andrew___K

The article doesn't say anything like that. I mean, clubs aren't obliged to have homegrown players to take part in the CL. You can compete with zero homegrown players, rules don't prohibit it.