Olympiacos (A) - CL | Post-Match Thread

Functional and well played out game.
Slightly dull, but most champions leagues games can be when the result is the main goal.

Olympiacos must be one of the worst CL sides I've seen. Looked like a League One team with the exception that you'd expect a League One outfit to attempt route one football. City have been improving defensively, but up front we need a miracle to turn this season around.
The potential counter to that is we’ve now gotten all of our bad finishing out of our system over the last few matches and we’ll be scoring nearly every chance for the next ten or so matches...

City 10 - 0 Burnley ;-)

Can’t really complain about 4 wins out of 4 and qualifying for next round, but we are in a rut regarding how we play.
Pep is sticking with how he wants us playing, which is great in my book as it’s beautiful when it works, but too many of our players just don’t have the short first time passing game in them, as far as I can see. Slow in mind as well body?
We hold the ball a second too long I’d say, or play the ball behind a player far too often. We just don’t look sharp enough, not only in the box, but lack of goals is a big problem when we come up against opponents any way better than that dross tonight.

We created a lot tonight however and got away with the lack of goals. I like having a more youthful attack. Much more pressure on their defence when we play youth.

Give me Foden, Sterling (although needs to improve his first touch) Jesus, Torres, Silva ahead of Mahrez every game and unfortunately Aguero is in need of urgent replacement too.
Gundogan and Rodri are too slow and shouldn’t be played together if we ever want to get back to the type of football we used to play when Fern did the job on his own.

KDB cannot be the only creative leader in the centre, if we want to reach those dizzy heights again.

I think we are showing signs that the defence has improved and the additions of Dias and Ake will prove to be good signings.

The question for me is do we have the players further forward to play the football Pep likes.
We need to cut out the sloppiness in passing everywhere on the pitch to speed up the ball being played forward.

We need a couple of 25 goals a season players, there’s no doubt, but despite what may seem like overly negative vibes from this post, I actually don’t think we are as far off a decent rebuild as some may think.

Pep has to find a way to speed up our transition from defence to a shot in their box. A couple of players out, a couple of young players in. Sorted.

I thought the increased tempo and moving the ball forward quicker was rather evident.

Still the issue remains the final ball, and being clinical. Jesus was particularly guilty of wasting possibilities.

Good to see Stones play well, and thought Mendy was promising although I’ve been lulled in plenty of times by him over the last 3/4 years so won’t get carried away ever again, lol.

Olympiacos must be one of the worst CL sides I've seen. Looked like a League One team with the exception that you'd expect a League One outfit to attempt route one football. City have been improving defensively, but up front we need a miracle to turn this season around.
Turn the season around, you mean try and close an 8 point gap with a game in hand and 3/4 of the season to go. You’ve been spoilt mate

We won, that’s about it. Not much fun watching those kind of games (seem to be every game at the moment) and only positives are we are through, clean sheet and can hopefully play some youngsters in the next games and rest some key players. Move on and quickly forgotten.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.