On a lighter note

Football boss Harry Redknapp threatened to "sue the bollocks" off a journalist as he angrily denied taking bungs, a court has heard.

The Tottenham Hotspur manager also said Milan Mandaric did not know what he was talking about in a 2009 telephone conversation with a News of the World reporter.

In short extracts read out to a jury at Southwark Crown Court, Redknapp told Rob Beasley he had "the best accountants in England", claiming the Inland Revenue was fully aware of his dealings in Monaco.

Mr Beasley spoke to Redknapp days after a telephone interview with Mandaric, the former Portsmouth FC chairman.

When Mr Beasley described how Mandaric said the money sent to Redknapp's offshore accounts were investments outside football, the Spurs boss replied that Mandaric did not know what he was talking about, adding: "What is he talking about? It is a bonus."

Explaining that the payments surrounded profit made on the sale of Peter Crouch from Portsmouth to Aston Villa, Redknapp added: "If it was something dodgy I would have gone over there and brought it back in a briefcase."

When Beasley asked him whether he had paid any tax in the UK on it, Redknapp replied: "Haven't been asked to, Rob."

Redknapp said "there ain't nothing crooked in it" as the telephone conversation went on, the court heard.

"Don't say bung," Redknapp said. "It's nothing to do with a bung. It's paid by the chairman. How can it be a bung when the chairman of the football club paid me?"

Redknapp and Mandaric deny two counts of cheating the public revenue when he was manager of Portsmouth Football Club.

Fucking stupid journo... 'Arry has a top top top top top top top top triffic accountant.. one of the best in the world. He's the Gareth Bale of finances.

I had a verbal run in with Rob Beasley earlier this season (just a bit of banter over his comments on that 'Four Twats and a Croissant' Sunday Suppliment programme) and although he is a grade A turd to his credit he did stand his ground and was willing to have a sensible discussion with me - well as sensible as he could, given his limited intellect.

If I've understood this latest development correctly, then Twitcher is totally bollocked in an almost perfect Detective Columbo type maneuver.

Columbo: "So this payment was a bung Mr Rednapp?"
Twitcher: "Certainly not detective, this was legitmate income, honestly earnt. How dare you even suggest that it was a bung"
Columbo: "So sorry Mr Rednapp, please forgive me, my mistake. Sorry for troubling you"
Columbo moves to the door to leave. Just as he gets to the door he stops and turns round.
Columbo: "Just one last thing Mr Rednapp, so if this wasn't a bung then you will have paid tax on it then. Correct?"
Twitcher: "oh fuck...."

Well done Rob Beasley. Game, set and match. I take back everything I ever said about you. Top man.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.