On the eve of the biggest game in our history...a repost from the eve of the 2014 title clincher

BongoBlue

Team supported
City of course
I was feeling a bit RAWK-ish but what the hell. Enjoy tomorrow Blues.

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/to-all-the-faraway-fans-like-me-who-never-made-it.301312/

To all the faraway fans like me who never made it...

in no particular order:

to York away,
To the hill outside Ewood,
To Bradford,
To Charlton at home for the 5-1;
And the easier game against United for that lovely 5-1,
To Lincoln, Halifax, Shrewsbury or Bury,
To Stoke for the ultimate relegation;
to Macclesfield for the start of the turnaround;
to being part of the 3007;
to the Full Members Cup the day after a damn derby,
or at the '81 replay on the Thursday after the first match and you fans had to leg it down to Wembley again while the Spurs fans just had to hop the tube;
to see and applaud Big Mal running across the pitch for his second coming that ended so badly, (a couple of years later with another manager running across the pitch in the most stupid pair of shoes ever manufactured; and at least Mal had some rhythm...;)
to be there to yell "Swales Out!"
to see the magic of Kinky and Deyna in the flesh;
to see Imre "Banana" and Paul Stewart tearing Forest a new one and thinking that a new day was dawning, then it was ripped away again...
to see the incomparable triumvirate of Bell, Lee and Summerbee...(Brutus, Cassius and Cicero);
to see Law's backheel in the flesh...;
to see Benarbia and Berkovic in that all too brief period where Keegan was God on Earth...;
and the Goat scoring with his arse and his elbow - and twice in 2003, one courtesy of TV's greatest pundit, Gazz Neville,
and Dickov blooming in the spring like the crocus that he was;
and Andy Morrison giving us the attitude that was needed to rise from the depths;
and unsung heroes like Richard Jobson, Steve Howey and Gerard Wiekens;
to Wembley 2011 for United and Stoke when we finally believed again;
to that unforgettable day in May 2012;
or the possibly even more unforgettable day in May 1999 when we were mere moments from oblivion - where I cried like a baby in front of my bemused children because I knew what it meant, and laughed like a hyena at Nicky Weaver's mad run around Wembley, and then promptly cried again;
to the last match at Maine Road where only City could lose it;
to see Stuart Pearce sky a penalty that is probably still in orbit and the usually deadly Robbie Fowler miss the chance to send us to Europe;
to see enough to think that Stevie Ireland, Willo Flood and (Call me) Ishmael Miller were our shining future; well they looked good on TV for a very short time; but Stevie, man that boy had talent...
to see Robinho; that talented and funky little bastard whose arrival promised so damn much and who started off so well and who worked so well with the aforementioned Stevie Ireland - for one year and one year only;
to see Dragoslav Stepanovic, Aage Hareide and Alfie Haaland;
to the Etihad on May 11, 2014, when we WILL win our second Premiership in 3 years over the Hammers and put an end to the media wankfest over Liverpool once and for all.

Sorry; I know it's a bit RAWK-ish.

And I have indeed seen City a few times over the years and eras. So I haven't missed everything. But I have missed a lot - hence a few examples above. I have still sweated blue over many decades and will again tomorrow. From scratchy radios, to occasional TV coverage back in Ireland to the present blanket coverage, I have been there. It never changes; the love never dies.

We will prevail tomorrow; I am sure of it. And we will celebrate as we damn well should.

You could add Mario's wink, "No, Vinny, no!", the dreadful VAR that ruled out Sterling's goal v. Spurs, Law's six goals v Luton that didn't count, the cockleshell heroes at Southend, Bert's farewell match, Bert's return to the Etihad, singing "Championes" on Brighton sea-front, waiting for City's results via the old BBC World Service, and many more. Being so far away for 30 years I've not seen enough of City in person either, but you are right, our beloved club will win this thing. Believe!

Last edited:
I would also add the following:

Colin Bell scoring the winning goal at Rotherham in 1966 to secure promotion.

The win at Newcastle in 1968 to wi the League Championship.

The Neil Young goal at Wembley against Leicester in 1969 to take the FA Cup.

The League Cup win at Wembley against West Brom in 1970.

The European Cup Winners Cup win in 1970 over Gornik in Vienna in the pissing rain.

The League Cup over Newcastle at Wembley thanks to the wonderful Dennis Tueart overhead kick.

I would also add the following:

Colin Bell scoring the winning goal at Rotherham in 1966 to secure promotion.

The win at Newcastle in 1968 to wi the League Championship.

The Neil Young goal at Wembley against Leicester in 1969 to take the FA Cup.

The League Cup win at Wembley against West Brom in 1970.

The European Cup Winners Cup win in 1970 over Gornik in Vienna in the pissing rain.

The League Cup over Newcastle at Wembley thanks to the wonderful Dennis Tueart overhead kick.
All great memories. 1968 was when I started supporting City first; specifically the 3-1 victory against United on my 8th birthday. So the Newcastle game was my first experience of City actually winning anything.
I was going for some of the more obscure memories in my original post I suppose. Things that I did not experience and wish that I had.

Mind you, seeing Tueart's overhead in '76 was a great memory; and still is. I was in boarding school in Cork with a bunch of United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Leeds fans at the time. It was so nice to put one over on them. Little did I think that it would be so damn long until we would win something again...

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.