On This Day May 11th 1968: Manchester City Crowned 1967-68 First Division Champions

Ok was this the last all English 11 to win a top flight league title ?
It was probably the only all-English team that City have had. Bobby Kennedy was the only non-English player to appear in the first team squad that season.

The season earlier would have featured Johnny Crossan, Matt Gray, as well as Kennedy. Previously Cliff Sear, Ralph Brand, Alex Harley, etc. had all appeared.

The season after Arthur Mann arrived. Later on Willie Donachie was signed and became a mainstay of the City defence. Subsequently Wyn Davies joined.

Great day out (should have been.) At 2 p.m. I was still stuck by the side of the A1 in Lincolnshire in the rain hoping to hitch a lift. Gave up and went back to digs.

And missed a few chances to get the matchday programme on e-bay over the years.

I drove up to the match with three mates in my Fiat 500. It had a two cylinder air cooled engine and vibrated like hell.

The car just wasn’t designed for long distance motorway travel. However it somehow got us there and back.

We arrived very early fearing a sell-out with-pay-at-the gate. I assume that there were 25,000 if not more City supporters in the ground. Newcastle were a decent team back then and qualified for the European Fairs Cup for the next season (which they won).

It was a real roller-coaster of a match with City taking the lead and Newcastle equalising. It went 0-1, 1-1, 1,2, 2-2, 2-3, 2-4, 3,4. Nobody had a clue what was happening at Old Trafford and we all assumed that City needed to win to take the title.

Most of us only found out after the match that Sunderland had won at Old Trafford. City would have won the title no matter what.
Blues in every stand, the A1 was chocker with fans travelling by any means possible. The Newcastle fans wanted us to win as well. Cracking day out, stopped at a North Manchester pub on our return, a full coach load piled in to be greeted by a handful of locals. Match of the day on the Pub TV.

Correct me if I'm wrong but City were top going into this game on goal average above United yet the MOTD cameras with Kenneth Wolstenholme still went to Old Trafford for their game vs Sunderland, as though they were expecting United to get a better result than City and lift the title. Mighty disrespectful that and no doubt Mike Doyle and others kept that in the memory for later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.