Open arms for new fans !

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
green pennies said:
But to me it seems like the difference between your Dad and your wife. I love my Dad. From the time I've been born, there he was. He loves me, I love him. He's given me everything and I've given him everything. We've supported each other over the years. My brother and sister understand and share in this love. He's an undeniable part of who I am and he's a huge influence. When he does something I think is wrong, it hurts and frustrates me to my core.. but undeniably, he is "mine", for better or worse, and I've had years and years of time to get to know him and who he is.

My wife, I've known her for less than a third of my life. We were connected on the suggestion of a third party (fuck I'll just say it because it supports the metaphor - it was an online dating site!), and while we got on straight away, it took getting to know her deeper for true love to develop. I haven't known her forever and there will always be more for me to learn about her. But I can say that now, my wife is my everything. I'd do anything to make her happy and she has become my family in a very real way. I'm with her every day and we recently had our first child.. our family and its love grows.

I don't buy this comparison. Primarily because it uses real, actual relationships as a metaphor. My whole point is that sport and football and being able to say "my team one" is not an important thing in life. Certainly not in any way comparable to real relationships with real people.

That is exactly why, for me, the only reason or justification for getting excited about/so involved with wanting a team to win and investing emotion in it is exactly because that team and it's success is somehow associated with your real relationships, your society and your environment. Otherwise, supporting a team just becomes a case of meaningless boasting to others who have similarly chosen a random team to support. It doesn't affect your society, your interactions with people who mean something to you, your home, etc, etc.

So, to compare feelings about Manchester City to relationships with people you care for really blows my mind. Everyone, and I mean everyone, if they are honest with themselves would give up ever hearing about Manchester City again if it meant saving the life of someone they care for. Such relationships are on a totally other level. But such emotive comparisons are common place stuff in justifications of why manufactured links/'love' for a far away sporting entity (or, if you want to boil it down even further, a limited company) has 'blossomed'.

I can totally understand developing feelings for a person you have never met before and that person becoming, eventually, your wife. But, come on, are we honestly comparing the process of developing a relationship with a spouse to your thought process as to why you wish to cite Manchester City/Manchester United/Liverpool/whoever's victories as something that reflects well on you?

One is a real thing, a relationship with a human being, someone you can touch, love, feel, develop all sorts of facets of understanding with. The other is a football club from miles away who you choose to say represents you purely on the basis that you randomly choose to say it represents you. If your relationship with your wife disappears, it dramatically alters your life. If Manchester City disappears it dramatically alters the landscape of Manchester but, whilst I am sure you wouldn't welcome it, they would be easily, eventually be replaced with another club that would eventually 'represent' you too.

My whole point is that choosing to get emotionally involved with a club and its results is, in reality, a nonsensical thing to do. It only really makes any kind of sense and can be slightly justified by it having a impact on a society, circles, relationships that you are involved with and connected with. Just like your meeting your wife has an impact on all those things. Choosing to say that a random football club represents you is so far away from real relationships with, as you suggest, your wife that I suspect your wife would be royally pissed off if she heard you equating the two. One (your relationship with your wife, is important. The other, choosing to say that City represent you, is most certainly not. And that is why I cannot get my head round these justifications at all.

Great post but sorry can't agree, your thesis is based on the idea that every man woman and child are motivated in the same way and that is clearly not the case.

Just because you associate your love for the club based on geographic ties does not mean everyone else cant have the same feelings for the club out of other motivations.

Its not how or why people find that connection with the club that is important it is simply that someone chose to be a blue and built that emotional connection with the club.

It could be through a particular player playing for the club, chance meeting with a fellow blue, even something as basic as the kit or what the club represents.

The fact is that people in their millions love the game of football and in most cases want to choose aclub to support, if that journey of choice leads them to the blues door then fantastic. Who are you to be judge and jury to say that those fans can't feel the same for the club simply because they dont have a connection with the locality?

Blue Mooner said:
The fact is that people in their millions love the game of football and in most cases want to choose aclub to support, if that journey of choice leads them to the blues door then fantastic. Who are you to be judge and jury to say that those fans can't feel the same for the club simply because they dont have a connection with the locality?

^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^

Blue Mooner said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
green pennies said:
But to me it seems like the difference between your Dad and your wife. I love my Dad. From the time I've been born, there he was. He loves me, I love him. He's given me everything and I've given him everything. We've supported each other over the years. My brother and sister understand and share in this love. He's an undeniable part of who I am and he's a huge influence. When he does something I think is wrong, it hurts and frustrates me to my core.. but undeniably, he is "mine", for better or worse, and I've had years and years of time to get to know him and who he is.

My wife, I've known her for less than a third of my life. We were connected on the suggestion of a third party (fuck I'll just say it because it supports the metaphor - it was an online dating site!), and while we got on straight away, it took getting to know her deeper for true love to develop. I haven't known her forever and there will always be more for me to learn about her. But I can say that now, my wife is my everything. I'd do anything to make her happy and she has become my family in a very real way. I'm with her every day and we recently had our first child.. our family and its love grows.

I don't buy this comparison. Primarily because it uses real, actual relationships as a metaphor. My whole point is that sport and football and being able to say "my team one" is not an important thing in life. Certainly not in any way comparable to real relationships with real people.

That is exactly why, for me, the only reason or justification for getting excited about/so involved with wanting a team to win and investing emotion in it is exactly because that team and it's success is somehow associated with your real relationships, your society and your environment. Otherwise, supporting a team just becomes a case of meaningless boasting to others who have similarly chosen a random team to support. It doesn't affect your society, your interactions with people who mean something to you, your home, etc, etc.

So, to compare feelings about Manchester City to relationships with people you care for really blows my mind. Everyone, and I mean everyone, if they are honest with themselves would give up ever hearing about Manchester City again if it meant saving the life of someone they care for. Such relationships are on a totally other level. But such emotive comparisons are common place stuff in justifications of why manufactured links/'love' for a far away sporting entity (or, if you want to boil it down even further, a limited company) has 'blossomed'.

I can totally understand developing feelings for a person you have never met before and that person becoming, eventually, your wife. But, come on, are we honestly comparing the process of developing a relationship with a spouse to your thought process as to why you wish to cite Manchester City/Manchester United/Liverpool/whoever's victories as something that reflects well on you?

One is a real thing, a relationship with a human being, someone you can touch, love, feel, develop all sorts of facets of understanding with. The other is a football club from miles away who you choose to say represents you purely on the basis that you randomly choose to say it represents you. If your relationship with your wife disappears, it dramatically alters your life. If Manchester City disappears it dramatically alters the landscape of Manchester but, whilst I am sure you wouldn't welcome it, they would be easily, eventually be replaced with another club that would eventually 'represent' you too.

My whole point is that choosing to get emotionally involved with a club and its results is, in reality, a nonsensical thing to do. It only really makes any kind of sense and can be slightly justified by it having a impact on a society, circles, relationships that you are involved with and connected with. Just like your meeting your wife has an impact on all those things. Choosing to say that a random football club represents you is so far away from real relationships with, as you suggest, your wife that I suspect your wife would be royally pissed off if she heard you equating the two. One (your relationship with your wife, is important. The other, choosing to say that City represent you, is most certainly not. And that is why I cannot get my head round these justifications at all.

Great post but sorry can't agree, your thesis is based on the idea that every man woman and child are motivated in the same way and that is clearly not the case.

Just because you associate your love for the club based on geographic ties does not mean everyone else cant have the same feelings for the club out of other motivations.

Its not how or why people find that connection with the club that is important it is simply that someone chose to be a blue and built that emotional connection with the club.

It could be through a particular player playing for the club, chance meeting with a fellow blue, even something as basic as the kit or what the club represents.

No one. And I don't want to be. I'll repeat, I have never and will never attempt to make anyone feel uncomfortable at City. However, does that mean it is totally unacceptable not to automatically share the view that people latching on to City is somehow some sort of noble act and to couch it in ridiculous language about 'being chosen'. Is it so out of order not to automatically think like that and want to think a little deeper about it and the motivations for it. Beyond the "I support XYZ because I'm sooooooooooo passionate about them" nonsense?

My point of view is that I do not hear a rational justification for being boastful about a sports club many miles away from your real life. Other than ones that actually are centred around some mostly undesirable human characteristics like boastfulness, oneupmanship and enjoying being able to project relative success onto your own personality. It is a choice, not based around loving the sport but around loving what saying you are a fan of a relatively glamorous (whether that be winning Europeans cups or just playing in a glamorous league/country) club allows you to say and how it allows you to act towards other people.

Anyone who has ever had a chance meeting with a foreign fan of a foreign sports team knows quite well that it might well inspire you to look out for that team's results. But to class that as motivation for claiming you are a huge fan of that team and to then attempt to start using emotive and passionate language that you would expect from their real fans and to give abuse to fans of that club's rivals - well, I think most would stop well short of that, precisely because deep down you would know that it was all a bit forced and all a bit shallow and didn't really resonate with your life and society.

It isn't a crime to want to discuss motivations, not automatically buy into a bit of cliche about passion/love/being chosen/etc and to question why people are so desperate to justify their claim that a far away team represents part of their personality.

moomba said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
What makes City, presumably, particularly high ranking on the list of levels of commitment amongst the teams you support then?

It is totally unrelated to the fact that you regularly get to see them and live in the locality?

Yes it is. My passion and love for the club was developed long before I moved to England.

And if you ever find yourself overseas on match day you might even meet a few passionate about the club who have never been to Manchester.

If I read the above correctly then you are saying that being in Manchester and being able to regularly watch City and invest so much time and effort into that has absolutely no impact on your enjoyment of or feeling of connection to City. That spending so much time and effort on City has no impact on you at all. That your geographical proximity to City is a completely neutral factor and that you in fact could easily feel 100 times more connected to a sports club in Outer Mongolia that you have never been within 20,000 miles of?

Without wishing to sound rude, I don't buy it.

Again, you presumably could then quite easily tomorrow decide to become a Grampus 8 fan and, should you decide you want to be, be hugely more animated, enthused and emotionally invested in their results? With City meaning relatively nothing to you? All whilst never going to Japan, having no connection to Japan and living in Manchester and watching City each week. I don't think so. I suggest that we both know that geography and, more specifically, the impact of that geography on your social circles and the society you live in - the connections to your real, often everyday, life - is the defining factor in how much results really impact on you (and when I say 'really' I don't mean just stating "man, it means so much to me")

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
green pennies said:

Actually, oddly, I was having a conversation with my wife about this "conversation" we were having on here (a not-in-my society, circles, or face to face relationships conversation, mind) and she actually smiled and said something to the effect of "You really must like me, eh?"

I mean look, if your greater point is to knock ALL club supporting and sport fandom in general, then fine. It is silly, it's probably a cheap, two-bit replacement for ancient things that modern society lacks, it has no connection or importance when connected to REAL life (ie - I'd ditch it forever to save my wife's life), etc... but if you want to be bashing it thusly, then you have to defend your supposed right to be an "in" fan and my lack of a right to be.

I mean ok, we've established that your friends and fam are all "on the inside" and mine aren't.. You ostensibly live close to the grounds and I don't.. You see the club play live, I don't. Are you really that much closer though? Aren't all your freinds and fam caught up in the same supposed bullshit/manufactured silliness you described for me? I mean unless you call Vinny Kompany up on the phone and go out for dinner together, unless you shop for scarves and trenchcoats with Bobby Manc, unless you are roomies with AJ, unless you are helping Joleon launch his new clothing brand, unless you have a cot at Carrington.... unless you have some kind of super-connection I am not aware of, then with the possible exception of the fact that you see games live with a lot of other folk who do the same... how TRULY connected are you? You can't walk into the tunnel. You need to watch the tunnel cam vids online same as me. Want to see an interview with Gareth Barry? You need to flick on the television or go online same as me. And I'm sure you look up to see replays if shown on screen at the Etihad to get a slow mo second peak at what's happening?

Is the Shiek your uncle? Is Mike Summerbee your yoga instructor?

You are just as separated from things as I am.. not physically, but for all intents and purposes. By your logic, if the people in your society all of a sudden decided to hate City and not show up to games, then you would have no reason to either! Why should a person's surroundings be a prerequisite for joining the "together" movement? (You and I both know that City the organization more than WANTS those of us around the world to feel we are a part of it.) Fandom does not need to be developed on the Kippax steps.

Also, you keep mentioning this bragging/boasting business, and I keep trying to tell you: I don't boast or have any need to! All I am saying is that if you feel the love in your heart, it is real, and I reject the idea that because you can smell the chips and walk through the puddles of spilt beer, because you can have banter with the guys you work with about it, that you are on some "next level". As I said in earlier posts, I do respect the time, effort, and difference in length of years of your support.. But you really can't wrap your head around someone feeling EXACTLY like you? Why? Because they watched something on an HD screen and you watched it from the stands and talked to your mates about it? I would argue that much of what being a fan is is internal. It "affects" your society in that it happens there and many in the area will tend to care.. but what you feel for a club happens on the inside.

Believe me, I understand what it's like when something you love and have a local connection to like an underground band all of a sudden goes big.. It can leave you feeling hurt and abused. It can cause real anger. Especially for the new "commercial" fans.. but at the end of the day if the band gets financially secure and can keep making music for all people, it's usually better for everyone. The music goes on and we all enjoy it together. The shit fans will fall by the wayside when bumps come, the goodhearted ones will hang on.

I'm just so curious about your background now as this goes on.. I mean did your parents not give you any choice? football? music? television? do you only follow local everything? are you moved by nothing that comes out of an electronic box? Are you so tactile/kinesthetic that you abandon the abstract in all things?

When I went on a road trip to the west coast this past summer and looked up a pub where San Francisco Blues supporters gathered and showed up to watch the Swansea match, you know what? It got really social and caring and friendly and real really quick! We were instant friends! Real conversations, real cheering, real joy. When I taught a group of sophomores in high school (I'm a teacher) who don't know Man City from Manure how to do the Poznan and sing "We're Not Really Here" in class, when I made a fake Man-U fan wear my Kompany shirt in school on Tuesday after the Derby? We had real smiles and laughs and FUN. This is supposed to be fun in between all the nail-biting, right?

Things matter if you want them to matter. If you think football is silly, it's silly for you, even if you live on Maine Road. If you think it's great and it moves you on the inside, it doesn't matter if you live on the (blue) moon.

I'd much prefer to be at the game than not.

But I dont love the club more because of it.

If I decided to be a Grampus 8 supporter of course I wouldnt feel the same as I do about City (or my teams in Australia, USA etc).

But in time if it interested me I would develop some emotional attachment to them, just as over time I developed an emotional attachment to City.

green pennies said:
JohnMaddocksAxe said:
green pennies said:

Actually, oddly, I was having a conversation with my wife about this "conversation" we were having on here (a not-in-my society, circles, or face to face relationships conversation, mind) and she actually smiled and said something to the effect of "You really must like me, eh?"

I mean look, if your greater point is to knock ALL club supporting and sport fandom in general, then fine. It is silly, it's probably a cheap, two-bit replacement for ancient things that modern society lacks, it has no connection or importance when connected to REAL life (ie - I'd ditch it forever to save my wife's life), etc... but if you want to be bashing it thusly, then you have to defend your supposed right to be an "in" fan and my lack of a right to be.

I mean ok, we've established that your friends and fam are all "on the inside" and mine aren't.. You ostensibly live close to the grounds and I don't.. You see the club play live, I don't. Are you really that much closer though? Aren't all your freinds and fam caught up in the same supposed bullshit/manufactured silliness you described for me? I mean unless you call Vinny Kompany up on the phone and go out for dinner together, unless you shop for scarves and trenchcoats with Bobby Manc, unless you are roomies with AJ, unless you are helping Joleon launch his new clothing brand, unless you have a cot at Carrington.... unless you have some kind of super-connection I am not aware of, then with the possible exception of the fact that you see games live with a lot of other folk who do the same... how TRULY connected are you? You can't walk into the tunnel. You need to watch the tunnel cam vids online same as me. Want to see an interview with Gareth Barry? You need to flick on the television or go online same as me. And I'm sure you look up to see replays if shown on screen at the Etihad to get a slow mo second peak at what's happening?

Is the Shiek your uncle? Is Mike Summerbee your yoga instructor?

You are just as separated from things as I am.. not physically, but for all intents and purposes. By your logic, if the people in your society all of a sudden decided to hate City and not show up to games, then you would have no reason to either! Why should a person's surroundings be a prerequisite for joining the "together" movement? (You and I both know that City the organization more than WANTS those of us around the world to feel we are a part of it.) Fandom does not need to be developed on the Kippax steps.

Also, you keep mentioning this bragging/boasting business, and I keep trying to tell you: I don't boast or have any need to! All I am saying is that if you feel the love in your heart, it is real, and I reject the idea that because you can smell the chips and walk through the puddles of spilt beer, because you can have banter with the guys you work with about it, that you are on some "next level". As I said in earlier posts, I do respect the time, effort, and difference in length of years of your support.. But you really can't wrap your head around someone feeling EXACTLY like you? Why? Because they watched something on an HD screen and you watched it from the stands and talked to your mates about it? I would argue that much of what being a fan is is internal. It "affects" your society in that it happens there and many in the area will tend to care.. but what you feel for a club happens on the inside.

Believe me, I understand what it's like when something you love and have a local connection to like an underground band all of a sudden goes big.. It can leave you feeling hurt and abused. It can cause real anger. Especially for the new "commercial" fans.. but at the end of the day if the band gets financially secure and can keep making music for all people, it's usually better for everyone. The music goes on and we all enjoy it together. The shit fans will fall by the wayside when bumps come, the goodhearted ones will hang on.

I'm just so curious about your background now as this goes on.. I mean did your parents not give you any choice? football? music? television? do you only follow local everything? are you moved by nothing that comes out of an electronic box? Are you so tactile/kinesthetic that you abandon the abstract in all things?

When I went on a road trip to the west coast this past summer and looked up a pub where San Francisco Blues supporters gathered and showed up to watch the Swansea match, you know what? It got really social and caring and friendly and real really quick! We were instant friends! Real conversations, real cheering, real joy. When I taught a group of sophomores in high school (I'm a teacher) who don't know Man City from Manure how to do the Poznan and sing "We're Not Really Here" in class, when I made a fake Man-U fan wear my Kompany shirt in school on Tuesday after the Derby? We had real smiles and laughs and FUN. This is supposed to be fun in between all the nail-biting, right?

Things matter if you want them to matter. If you think football is silly, it's silly for you, even if you live on Maine Road. If you think it's great and it moves you on the inside, it doesn't matter if you live on the (blue) moon.

pennies some excellent posts by your good self over the last few days...very enjoyable !

so you are a teacher ?? your mission should you wish to accept, is to turn america blue ! you are dealing with impressionable young people..........go to work !!

you are hearby authorised to come out with the following statements of fact by the good and true believers on bluemoon :

1) the queen supports man city
2) the pope dislikes man u..( he thinks they are devils incarnate )
3) if you are a city fan you will be an achiever in life
4) if you are a united fan you are more likely to suffer more tooth ache in later life
5)if you are a united fan there is a possibilty when you get home from school...your mom and dad may well have moved without telling you

feel free to add any more pennies..keep up the good work 9/10 ;)

Green pennies

A wholehearted post and very interesting.

But you don't get it do you?

City for most of us is in our marrow, our DNA. The very place where we have been raised is seeped with City and it's history.

I'm not knocking your support at all, just saying that whilst you beat on about the non geographical connection there is another side of the coin.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.