GoForGlory

Mark Hughes is sounding a note of realism about the possible business that Manchester City might do in the forthcoming transfer window.

The dramatic swoop for Robinho at the very end of August sparked off frenzied media speculation about who the Manager will be targeting when the next window opens, but there’s a statement of intent from Mark that the Club is looking for good deals wherever possible.

“We’re aware of this assumption about the level of finance that we’ll throw at the project in January, but we still have realistic market values,” he asserts. “There is also an assumption that we will stimulate the market, that the money sloshing around will be from the deals that we have started, but we have to make sure we protect the Club as well.

“We’re hoping to go into the market and acquire players that we think will help us, but it is still dependent on whether clubs are willing to deal with us or not.

“The deals that we do will have to be good ones, but we are quite happy at the moment. We know that there will be a premium that we will probably have to pay because it’s January, and teams don’t want to lose their better players. But it will not be to the extent where we are paying hugely over the market value.”

The intention will be to try to start enhancing the squad as soon as possible with some vital games coming up soon, and the Manager continues:

“We hope we can do business quickly, because that will help us, but you can’t judge on whether the deals you want to happen will do when the time is right.

“We have to make sure that the players we want to bring in are good for us in terms of quality and their position in the squad. If we do that I am very positive for the second half of the season.

“It’s not an exact science. You have to look at what’s out there, what’s attainable and the price clubs are asking for. If you come to the conclusion that things are right for the team and the club, then you start to make things happen.

“There is a budget out there, and we will work within that. The key thing is to make sure the quality we bring in supplements the quality we already have here. I feel that the addition of the right players will give us more consistency in the second half of the season.”

Tim Oscroft

Love that he's not really rubbishing the "assumption about the level of finance that we’ll throw at the project in January". It's really exciting - having absolutely no idea how the team will look a month from now! It's really understandable that it affects some players on the pitch, but hopefully we'll have a solid regular squad soon.

GoForGlory said:
Love that he's not really rubbishing the "assumption about the level of finance that we’ll throw at the project in January". It's really exciting - having absolutely no idea how the team will look a month from now! It's really understandable that it affects some players on the pitch, but hopefully we'll have a solid regular squad soon.

I think we already have a solid, and very regular squad ;-).

Well, hardly that solid. With the exception of a couple of positions I think we have a fantastic first 11 though, but we really suffer when missing key players so I suppose that's what needs to be adressed, more options. The alternatives on the bench have hardly been inspiring, and of course the long term injuries hasn't helped either. Senna would be a fantastic player for us IMO, that a couple of good defenders and a striker would be great. Wouldn't hurt if he threw in some of the world's best superstars either. =P

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.