oscar cardozo

cityboy1

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1341460/Hulk-price-tag-turns-Manchester-City-Benficas-Oscar-Cardozo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rdozo.html</a>

Manchester City have been warned off Porto striker Hulk but told that Benfica are open to offers for his Benfica rival Oscar Cardozo.

City are looking at attacking options ahead of a clearout that could see Emmanuel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz and Jo all leave in January. Felipe Caicedo is also expected to turn his loan move to Levante into a permanent deal.

Bosnian striker Edin Dzeko is Roberto Mancini's No 1 target, but Wolfsburg have set a prohibitively high price tag of £38million - despite his desire to join the ambitious Barclays Premier League side.

Just Brazili-iant: Porto striker Hulk (left) strikes fear into defenders

City could turn to Fernando Torres as an alternative, but it would take a huge bid for Liverpool's new owners to anger fans by selling the Spain striker to a team that are such close rivals.

The net has been cast far and wide, with City technical director Mike Rigg confirming an interest in Porto's Brazil international Hulk.

'We are obviously watching him, but he is not a player we can sign right now, that's for sure,' Rigg told Portuguese reporters.

Porto insist they will not do a deal in January for under Hulk's £85m price tag - and the forward is certainly not worth breaking the world record for.

Up for grabs? Benfica's Paraguayan striker Cardozo

Rigg added: 'He is a player with a huge impact and a profile which perfectly fits the football played in the Premier League.

'I have no doubts his future can be here [in England] and I admit it would be hard to play against him.

'No one will be able to sign him now, so the news that came out (in England) makes no sense. We know it is impossible and, as such, we will not even make any approach.

'In the summer? I think it's hard, because we are not looking for strikers right now.

'The squad is filled with options for that position, but I do not want to sound definitive, because several things can change in the meantime.'

For all Porto's defiance, the Portuguese league leaders don't hold all the power. Agent Juan Figer, who played a role in Robinho's move from Real Madrid to City in September 2008, is reported to own almost 50 per cent of the player's economic rights.

In any case, Portuguese intermediaries are encouraging City to return to the option of Benfica striker Cardozo.

The Eastlands billionaires looked at the Paraguay striker earlier this year but his side fought hard to keep him and instead raised funds by selling Angel di Maria to Real Madrid and Ramires to Chelsea.

The situation has changed and Benfica are now said to be receptive to a deal as they try to compensate for the shortfall of going out of the Champions League. City would rather sign their Brazil defender David Luiz, while Manchester United and AC Milan are keen on defender Fabio Coentrao.

But the Portuguese champions would rather sell Cardozo for bids above £15m and are also sounding out Tottenham about taking midfielder Carlos Martins.

However, the 27-year-old is willing to fight for his future in Lisbon. Under contract till 2014, he said he would be mad to leave, adding: 'My wish for 2011 is to do a good job at Benfica, the club where I feel very well and where I don't think about leaving until I finish my contract.'

Cardozo has also been linked to Everton and Blackburn in the past, but neither could afford to sign him this winter.

gossip column drivel, what has cardozo done? maybe as a 4th striker instead of jo but dzeko,torres,hulk,llorente,carroll all prefered targets

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.