Our Club is changing

i was in hollywood studios in florida last week and a member of staff came up to me and said "nice jersey". made me smile.

mcfcliam said:
It pains me to say it but I'd rather watch it in the pub than watch it surrounded by a bunch of pricks who don't belong at a football match...kind of like some of the freaks that turn up to the swamp every week.

I'm yet to be challenged by the opinion of a Pub fan in comparison to someone at the match. Football fans attend whenever possible.

Match>>>>>>>>>Pub

mcfcliam said:
As LoveCity said, there's still a very Mancunian feel about the club and when we do finally lose that feel, then it's time to fuck off.

It pains me to say it but I'd rather watch it in the pub than watch it surrounded by a bunch of pricks who don't belong at a football match...kind of like some of the freaks that turn up to the swamp every week.

I remember going to Maine Road as a kid and being surrounded by working class people with a real passion for the club and that's what we want, proper supporters filling the ground every week instead of dicks who choose City as a lifestyle choice.

It's just not a 'City thing' to have a ground full of tourists with cameras and people just there for the day out with no passion whatsoever for MCFC.

I await the 'the more the merrier', 'embrace it' and 'we need them to move forward' bullshit cliches but I stand by my opinion on this and always will.

City, City ra ra ra.
Shocking

On holiday in Florida this year loads of yanks kept congratulating us on our FA Cup win, seems the word is spreading! Didn't know they knew what the FA Cup was never mind recognising our 3rd kit!

I wasn't aware that mcfcLiam was personally vetting supporters to make sure they're manc enough to sit in the same stadium as him. I'd better submit my papers to him so he can decide how much of a fan I am.

Seeing as I had the temerity to leave Manchester at 18 and join the forces 21 years ago and only go to City a couple of times a year, I'm probably one of those fans he hates. I don't even have much of an accent any more. Christ, I even like prawn sandwiches. Bet he hates me.

Mugatu said:
I wasn't aware that mcfcLiam was personally vetting supporters to make sure they're manc enough to sit in the same stadium as him. I'd better submit my papers to him so he can decide how much of a fan I am.

Seeing as I had the temerity to leave Manchester at 18 and join the forces 21 years ago and only go to City a couple of times a year, I'm probably one of those fans he hates. I don't even have much of an accent any more. Christ, I even like prawn sandwiches. Bet he hates me.

:-(

mcfcliam said:
As LoveCity said, there's still a very Mancunian feel about the club and when we do finally lose that feel, then it's time to fuck off.

I remember going to Maine Road as a kid and being surrounded by working class people with a real passion for the club and that's what we want, proper supporters filling the ground every week instead of dicks who choose City as a lifestyle choice.

It's just not a 'City thing' to have a ground full of tourists with cameras and people just there for the day out with no passion whatsoever for MCFC.

I await the 'the more the merrier', 'embrace it' and 'we need them to move forward' bullshit cliches but I stand by my opinion on this and always will.

City, City ra ra ra.

using your logic, I assume you would rather the team and owner be Mancunians and MAYBE playing and surviving in the Blue Square league (but you'd be proud! You're a blue collar worker!) rather than the owner and chairman being from the Middle East and the teams best players coming from Belgium, Argentina, Spain, Bosnia, and France.

just a shocker that post.

MadchesterCity said:
Frank H said:
MadchesterCity said:
excellent post, but what upsets people is when people don't celebrate when we score, there was a chap at the Chelsea away game season before last that had managed to get a ticket in the away end but never celebrated as we slipped in the 4th.

I can see why this upsets people
Is it only "Chinese" who don't celebrate when Man.City score? Do no "Chinese" ever celebrate when Man.City score?

There seems to be an assumption amongst some that the only genuine football fans are working class, and even that the only good ones are "white" working class. And that anyone else who takes any interest in any club must be a "glory hunter" - either a camcorder obsessed "Chinese", or a prawn-sandwich eating middle-class "prick".

I've admitted that I'm not a rabid Man.City fan, but I have long had a "soft spot" for Man.City. The reasons for that are the very opposite of "glory-hunting".

Apart from AFC Wimbledon, I haven't any reason for strong allegiance to any other club. However I have generally supported some teams for one or both of two reasons. I tend to support the "underdog", and I would rather support a team playing attractive skilful football, than one playing in a negative thuggish way.

The great Man.City team of the mid- and late-60s filled both conditions. They played attractive skilful football, and, compared to Man.U., Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Everton (a big club then) they were definitely "underdogs".

Of course, since the arrival of the Sheikhs, Man.City no longer have the mantle of underdogs - so there is no longer any reason for sympathy for them on that score. But in compensation, I can see being formed a team which will probably be one of the most skilful and attractive teams to ever grace the English leagues. It will be great if this team fulfils its potential, and if such players as Silva, Aguero etc. get the acclaim their skills deserve.

As for camcorders, unless someone, "Chinese" or not, is using one which blocks the views of others, what is the problem? I don't have a camcorder, nor even a camera - but if I, and many people who haven't been at a match want to see bits of it on Youtube etc., we can only do so if someone is recording it.

As I am grateful to so many people who have put up videos on the internet, I was considering getting a video camera so I could repay something of the debt I feel I owe them. However, comments on this thread have reminded me of the hidden hostility of some (many?) at the very sight of an "asian" or "Chinese" with a camera or camcorder, so I am not sure I could ever use one in public without feeling embarrassed.

Besides being castigated as gloryseekers the other term of virtual abuse that is handed out about Chinese or asian looking people is that they are "tourists". It seems that only white Britons should be permitted to be tourists - as so many are in other parts of the world.

I have lived in this country since 1948 - all but the first two years of my life. I have been attending football matches since 1964, although the expense now means I can't attend that frequently recently. I thank the number of City fans who have been posting expressing sympathy after my post in this thread. I am quite prepared to be assured that they represent a decent majority of the Man.City fans.

However, I am a little annoyed at the frequency with which the presence of "Chinese" people at football matches is criticised on various football forums - especially as I am sure that most of the people so posting have lived in this country for a much shorter time than I have - and I suspect that I actually know a great deal more about the history and culture of this country - and of its football teams - than most of them do.

Fair play to you mate and it was by no means a knock at you, I am Scottish and my wife is Filipina, she has just started watching football this year so would be classed as a new fan.

But jumps up and down and gets so excited about the team, players, especially Aguerro ;)

I am obsessed with City so supporting City was a decision made by me on her behalf but she has really taken to it.

The point I was making was the more the merrier but get behind the team and enjoy the game! CTWD

Oh right bringing 'the wifes' into it are we....i'll have you know my wife has been a staunch city fan ever since we have been together, she might be from Stoke-on-Trent but she claps louder and longer than any city fan during matches....the extra fingers definately help.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.