Our Club is changing

Oh bollocks, supported City for 42 years, guess im not welcome anymore. Will have to support my local team i suppose, just my luck they are bottom of the premier league:)

I look forward with trepidation to the one or two games I might just manage to attend this season. Suspicious looks from the fans around me, or the occasional overheard comment. Things never change. I'll never forget the staring eyes when my Dad took me to Maine Road for the first time. I felt like we were on trial. Did we look like City supporters? Did we move like City supporters? For a few moments, it was awful.

You lucky, lucky people who get to every single game. Life turns a corner, every so often, and we find ourselves living in another part of the world, away from family and away from City. It doesn't mean we stop being blue.

I love watching football, and it's a bonus to watch good football. The only thing that saddens me is the amount of supporters of other teams who are so transfixed by their own plastic choices that they haven't yet seen some of the football we've been producing. Bring on the extra supporters, especially if it means I get some company at the pub!

another generation said:
I look forward with trepidation to the one or two games I might just manage to attend this season. Suspicious looks from the fans around me, or the occasional overheard comment. Things never change. I'll never forget the staring eyes when my Dad took me to Maine Road for the first time. I felt like we were on trial. Did we look like City supporters? Did we move like City supporters? For a few moments, it was awful.

You lucky, lucky people who get to every single game. Life turns a corner, every so often, and we find ourselves living in another part of the world, away from family and away from City. It doesn't mean we stop being blue.

I love watching football, and it's a bonus to watch good football. The only thing that saddens me is the amount of supporters of other teams who are so transfixed by their own plastic choices that they haven't yet seen some of the football we've been producing. Bring on the extra supporters, especially if it means I get some company at the pub!

Well said mate.

We want a full stadium week in week out at prem games ,cup games and CL games yet we dont want new supporters..

Erm im no einstien but.............

The last few years have been absolutely brilliant. We have to accept that as a club we have changed. As other posters have stated with star players and success come more fans. That's inevitable and quite frankly understandable. Long may it continue and any fan ( day trippers as well ) is welcome by me. In fact they are essential. With the owner ( Thank you ) investing in new facilities and youth training academy it looks like he is genuinely in it for the long haul. However we must become as self sufficient as possible and to do that we need to increase our stadium size. Usually I think that a 60000 seater stadium would be adequate but now I'm thinking a very ambitious 90000 seater may be possible. United's average gates when they were just beginning to dominate the Premiership were around City's average over the last 8 years or so, 40 - 44000 so in theory we should be able to match them attendance wise. Also, lets not forget that "historically" we still hold the record for the highest attendance outside Wembley. Wouldn't it be nice if we actually broke it! The team with no history rewrites it again! One things for certain regardless, in the words of Muhammad Ali ( then Cassius Clay ) when he beat the invincible Sonny Liston "We've shook up the world, we've shook up the world"

Frank H said:
All these negative comments about Chinese and asians!

I am British but of Chinese parentage. Sadly, I get the feeling that there are a quite a section of Man.City fans who would be annoyed by my very presence in the Etihad.

I am not a City fan. However I started attending football matches, as a general supporter of football, as long ago as 1964 (I am a pensioner now), and have done so ever since, although not so frequently in recent years, for non-football reasons. I remember clearly seeing the great City team of Summerbee, Bell etc.playing - Neil Young scored a great goal at WBA, IIRC - and I was very pleased that that team won the championship (then properly called the First Division) in 1968.

Surely there is nothing wrong, if there are spare seats, for some who are not fans of either team, but merely sympathisers, of even general supporters of football, to attend matches? Or should all spectators have to be hate-filled fanatics supporting either team?

I am not accusing Man.City fans in particular of what I see as a rather nasty sort of hidden racist xenophobia, as sadly I find these disparaging comments about Chinese and asians on football forums associated with other clubs as well.

To those who have posted these negative comments on Chinese etc. in these forums, I would just like to say that while you may not like the look of us, we do have to share this world together, and it might be just that little bit more pleasant if we sometimes tried a bit better to deal with our prejuduces - even if those prejudices might sometimes be justified.

Don't let a few idiotic comment's on here put you off Frank if you ever want to visit the Etihad. Those who post on here really only represent a tiny percentage of our fanbase. Although I am deeply ashamed that the opinions you have seen on here have helped you form that opinion.

southaustralianblue said:
I think this idea that there is massive city support overseas is not accurate in my experience. I recently came back from 2 months working in vietnam where the locals are all obsessive prem watchers, and did not see a single city shirt amongst a sea of rags, dippers, and cheslski shirts. I spoke to a large number of people in work and social situations and would always raise football as an icebreaker. Not a single city fan. Didn't even see any knockoff shirts in the markets.

Where i now live in south australia, everyone immediately assumes that as I am from mcr that I am a rag, and few have heard of city at all. Another recent experience was that I forgot my god daughters birthday last week and wanted to buy her a city shirt. I normally buy city gear on line but I ventured out into the main sports store in adelaide. Miles of the other top 4, but no city shirts. I visited 4 different shops and drew a blank at each.

We have a long way to go before we even make a dent on the potential overseas support. I think there is some increase in o/s support from the countries where we have signed players but I dont see much evidence of us being on the cusp of world domination

Agreed.

The rule of thumb is that whenever you're abroad and you speak to someone about football, they call United 'Manchester' 100 per cent of the time.

vitty said:
Agreed.

The rule of thumb is that whenever you're abroad and you speak to someone about football, they call United 'Manchester' 100 per cent of the time.

Who can argue with science like that.

As LoveCity said, there's still a very Mancunian feel about the club and when we do finally lose that feel, then it's time to fuck off.

It pains me to say it but I'd rather watch it in the pub than watch it surrounded by a bunch of pricks who don't belong at a football match...kind of like some of the freaks that turn up to the swamp every week.

I remember going to Maine Road as a kid and being surrounded by working class people with a real passion for the club and that's what we want, proper supporters filling the ground every week instead of dicks who choose City as a lifestyle choice.

It's just not a 'City thing' to have a ground full of tourists with cameras and people just there for the day out with no passion whatsoever for MCFC.

I await the 'the more the merrier', 'embrace it' and 'we need them to move forward' bullshit cliches but I stand by my opinion on this and always will.

City, City ra ra ra.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.