Our leftside vunerability........

B\connellblue

treatment room with the rest of the crocks
We look so solid for the most part at the back except when we are attacked down our left side. This was ruthlessly exposed in europe and has been to a lesser extent in the league. I know merlin for the most part plays that side and he isn't going to track back constantly although to his credit he does get up and down quite a bit. I'm sure mancini sees this as well yet he never seems to do anything to combat it. Milner protects Zabaleta brilliantly on the opposite side. Is this as big a problem as I think it is? or do we ignore it as Bobby seems to do and accept it as a hazard of the way we play?

Accept it.

Best defence in the league by a country mile.

But still buy Bale in the summer.

Jol did his homework, told Berbatov to play on whichever side had Silva on it.

Personally I think Barry should do more in helping out as Merlin is far too important to be having to stick his foot in.

I thought Fulham's first half was very good. They pressed our full backs back so that the "typical" defense outlet ball to the full backs continually came under pressure. Jol clearly watched our European "adventure"!

Our second half was much improved and this is where the benefit of defenders who are comfortable in possession is of benefit. Both nasty and komps were a little more adventurous in their passing which broke up Fulham's pressing game by pushing them back into defensive positions.

We're only half a player short, as Clichy pretty much counts for 1.5 men.

This is the side we play in the league. It's basically a 4-4-2, with Silva on the wings and having only Barry and Clichy as his protection.

I reckon in the CL we would be switching to our other formation which incorporates Yaya. A 4-3-3, with Yaya, Garcia and Barry in midfield. More defensive midfielders would offer more protection for the flanks. Then again, we would obviously be sacrificing some attack.

B\connellblue said:
We look so solid for the most part at the back except when we are attacked down our left side. This was ruthlessly exposed in europe and has been to a lesser extent in the league. I know merlin for the most part plays that side and he isn't going to track back constantly although to his credit he does get up and down quite a bit. I'm sure mancini sees this as well yet he never seems to do anything to combat it. Milner protects Zabaleta brilliantly on the opposite side. Is this as big a problem as I think it is? or do we ignore it as Bobby seems to do and accept it as a hazard of the way we play?

Merlin's workrate and tackling and defensive game are much improved this season. However there was one Fulham attack today where he was ballwatching and allowed the Fulham RB to run past him to receive a simple pass into our penalty box instead of tracking the run. Clichy got a vital block in to avert the danger and Silva realised his mistake straight away. Other than that Silva was world class today. He creates so much for us that occasionally it will leave us a bit exposed down the left. That's where Clichy earns his corn.

SWP's back said:
Accept it.

....................Hart...................
Zab.....Komps.....Nasty...Clichy
Milner...Yaya.....Wilshere..Bale
.......................Silva..............
..............Aguero...................

2 signings....bale and wilshere please.

Would cost 80 million?

Then put cheque book away for a while.

That team would walk the league.

Pace, width, guile , solidity, balance, experience it has everything.

stavros said:
SWP's back said:
Accept it.

....................Hart...................
Zab.....Komps.....Nasty...Clichy
Milner...Yaya.....Wilshere..Bale
.......................Silva..............
..............Aguero...................

2 signings....bale and wilshere please.

Would cost 80 million?

Then put cheque book away for a while.

That team would walk the league.

Pace, width, guile , solidity, balance, experience it has everything.

sorry but is this a joke?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.