Our problem

ello_jo

What I think our problem is is the fact that our reputation has grown faster than our team. We are now known to the footballing world as mega-rich city, therefore they expect us to be some sort of amazing team. It seems to me that teams are playing city and aiming to just stop us scoring and hopefully getting one on the break, and this is down to the fact that we are now the richest club in the world. We cannot perform against teams because they are just out to stop us scoring, the same as they do with chelsea, liverpool etc. But the "top four" are further along their process than us, with their team they can play against your scrappy teams and get a result because they're filled with quality match winning players. Thats why we perform so well when you see teams come to attack us ie. Hull, Pompey, Liverpool (althought we lost). We need to give Hughes time to build our squad in order to have the quality players that have the ability to break down these teams because at the moment we just haven't got the squad. In my opinion I think we need to let Hughes finish his fight to get us in the top ten this year, because no doubt he will, and then let him get our squad together in the summer ready to break down the like of bolton etc.
So all in all give Hughes time.

i dont know a lot about football management but do think with hughes being a striker he struggles with defensive strategies

Spot on, your Blackburns, Wigans etc play against us like they are playing against the rags or chelski, but we don't (yet) have that calibre of player all over the pitch.

After summer some of these games will be a lot easier.

ello_jo said:
What I think our problem is is the fact that our reputation has grown faster than our team. We are now known to the footballing world as mega-rich city, therefore they expect us to be some sort of amazing team. It seems to me that teams are playing city and aiming to just stop us scoring and hopefully getting one on the break, and this is down to the fact that we are now the richest club in the world. We cannot perform against teams because they are just out to stop us scoring, the same as they do with chelsea, liverpool etc. But the "top four" are further along their process than us, with their team they can play against your scrappy teams and get a result because they're filled with quality match winning players. Thats why we perform so well when you see teams come to attack us ie. Hull, Pompey, Liverpool (althought we lost). We need to give Hughes time to build our squad in order to have the quality players that have the ability to break down these teams because at the moment we just haven't got the squad. In my opinion I think we need to let Hughes finish his fight to get us in the top ten this year, because no doubt he will, and then let him get our squad together in the summer ready to break down the like of bolton etc.
So all in all give Hughes time.

Rubbish, no other manager would be able to buy their way out of trouble, and MH is no exception whatsoever in my opinion. He came to the club thinking we had little money, and without the Arabs money to rescue him, he would and should be sacked by now already. I weep for this club at times. Everything has to be done differently, for the sake of it being done differently. With all this money, the one thing we could do with it, is get in a decent manager. Not an - out of his depth, lucky bounder that we have got who can't assemble a team to save his life, and can't get any respect from his staff.

bluemoondays said:
Spot on, your Blackburns, Wigans etc play against us like they are playing against the rags or chelski, but we don't (yet) have that calibre of player all over the pitch.

After summer some of these games will be a lot easier.
Exactly, I think in order for us to progress our reputation and quality in the team has to be on a par or reputation below quality, but at the minute it is way out of balance. It is like our reputation has gone sky high whilst we are still the same team as last year.

our problem is that we are still relying on players who have let us down badly.

look at these games:
the 8-1 defeat to an average premierleague team,
the 6-0 away drubbing by chelsea,
the astonishing capitulation at home to fulham,
and losing by three at home to a lower league team,
the appaling record during 2008 as a whole

whats the common factor in them all?

here's a clue: it's not sven. it's not hughes. it's not shinawatra. it's not robinho.

bizzbo said:
our problem is that we are still relying on players who have let us down badly.

look at these games:
the 8-1 defeat to an average premierleague team,
the 6-0 away drubbing by chelsea,
the astonishing capitulation at home to fulham,
and losing by three at home to a lower league team,
the appaling record during 2008 as a whole

whats the common factor in them all?

here's a clue: it's not sven. it's not hughes. it's not shinawatra. it's not robinho.

Bravo.

Last season our defence was superb, this season it has gone to pot. Could that have something to do with Faz leaving??????

The OP does have a great point though. Like it or not, we're not just poor little City now.
We do have a target on our heads.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.