Our strength in depth.

Where did the arbitrary number 2 or 3 come from. There are times due to fixture congestion and injuries we need to dig far deeper. My only disappointment this season is seeing our performance levels dip whenever we don’t play our best 11. I know it will improve, maybe I’m just impatient.
How often have we been able to play our best 11, with injuries to Mendy, Kompany, Stones. We've rested a few and until last night had won 20, so we're better than most. That said I would like a bit more cover for Sane, Sterling and Fernandinho. Sanchez and somebody for Toure in January for me.

Last night confirmed that we need centreback cover (VVD?) and left back (Bertrand) and someone who can play anywhere in the front three (Sanchez?). Even better would be a left back who can pay centre half. That said I thought Diaz was superb and needs to be given more chances off the bench. Foden will be fantastic but not as left wingback. Pep learned a lot from the game. It will confirm his concerns about Mangala and Tosin long-term. Bernardo will come good but I am not so sure about Danilo. Gudogan has still not fully recovered from the injury so the jury is out on him. Meanwhile Shakhtar are a good side and if drwan against United will knock them out in the next round.

To early to say but it can't be out of Guardiola's mind after testing him in that position.

If Foden went to left back, it would be much the same as putting Paul Lake or Colin Bell at left back. A total waste of their talents. Foden has shown how effective he is where he has played for the kids and England. He is a driver, playmaker, a weaver of spells! His talents would be sorely underused at LB. He could play there if occasion demanded, but not on a permanent basis. Mind, it would be good to have an inside forward at left back if all the other positions were covered by inside forwards. It's been done before. Some guy called Cruyff and that tangerine team did it way back.

Last night confirmed that we need centreback cover (VVD?) and left back (Bertrand) and someone who can play anywhere in the front three (Sanchez?). Even better would be a left back who can pay centre half. That said I thought Diaz was superb and needs to be given more chances off the bench. Foden will be fantastic but not as left wingback. Pep learned a lot from the game. It will confirm his concerns about Mangala and Tosin long-term. Bernardo will come good but I am not so sure about Danilo. Gudogan has still not fully recovered from the injury so the jury is out on him. Meanwhile Shakhtar are a good side and if drwan against United will knock them out in the next round.

Last night didn’t confirm a thing.

It was highly likely either way that this summer a new centre half will probably be on the shopping list with Mangala being moved on. Danilo for me looks fine as a part of the squad and he can cover as and when needed. Your not going to get like for like replacements for key players. A top manager can get the best out of his squad players in the absence of key players, for example Fabian Delph playing in Mendys absence. We need someone who can play anywhere in the front 3? How many goals and wins have we had so far this season again?

Last night had zero riding on it wotsoever. An impossible game to make a clear or precise judgement on anybody who played and jumping to conclusions like we need this or we need that after last night comes across as childish.

Our squad is quality and maybe even the envy of Europe at the minute.

Some positives from last night but Gundagon, BSilva, Yaya all very poor and Sane looked disinterested again. Mangala not that good either.
The worry is if we have any sort of injury crisis then the back up is not as good as we thought it was.

Put them all on together that is the result as it always has been,a couple in the first team and they are fine,foden out of position was stupid,he would have made all the difference has he been the play maker

I'm sure he has heard me as i've shouted it loud enough,what do you think he learned being played as a wingback? has he nothing left to learn playing in his usual position?
Yes I agree, it did seem strange to me that he was playing wing back. I was alluding to the fact that you called it stupid. We all know Pep likes his players to be able to play all over the park, so maybe Pep took this opportunity to move a few players around and have a look at them. After all, regardless of what people on here are saying it was a meaningless game for us but not a friendly because they had to get a result so the intensity was there. Ideal scenario to look at something different.

I think we'll be back in for Sanchez in January, and also a left sided centre half (either Evans or Inigo Martinez). Cover for Fernandinho is desperately needed too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.