Outfield Players In Goal

Mad Eyed Screamer

The penalty shoot out thread got me thinking about outfield players who went in goal when the keeper was sent off / taken off injured. Not likely to happen much these days but was common in the days of only one / two subs.

I know Mike Doyle played against Leicester away in the 70's but I wasn't at that game.

I saw with my eyes the following:

Bobby MacDonald v Watford (home) 1981
Tommy Booth v Stoke (away League cup) 1982
Steve Redmond v Palace (home) 87/88??
Nigel Gleghorn v Walsall (away) and Palace (home) 1989
Niall Quinn v Derby (home) 1991?

Have we had one since Quinny?

Wasnt there a game in the 60's when Harry Dowd was injured but didnt go off, just played outfield and scored! Who went in nets?

Wasn't there myself, but IIRC, Joe Corrigan was injured in the 1st half in a League Cup tie at Stoke early in the 1980/1, soldiered on until half time but didn't come out for the second period. Tommy Booth replaced him in goal.

We'd gone 1-0 down early in the game, before Corrigan even picked up his injury, and that was still the score at the interval. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, so we lost the first half, with our international 'keeper available, and won the second half, when our centre back replaced him. Another typical City event! :)

the watford game is one of my favourites.watford were a very good team.i think they finished second that season.

when he put on corrigans shirt we all feared the worst,the sleeves went down to his knees.

bobby mac was immense and became a legend after that game.

We've had a goalkeeper playing as an outfield player since then. That must be a pretty damned rare event. Players going in goal is one of the long-lost sights in football.

Hang on, didn't we not name a keeper sub on the bench a few years ago and end up with an injured keeper? Or an I dreaming? Maybe we just didn't name a keeper but never actually needed one.

I recall the Nigel Gleghorn game at Walsall, they had a very poor side(might well have gone down that year)and we went up at the end of the season. They killed us for the first 20mins 2-0 up and Dibble gets injured, it was a real turning point scored 3 goals and Walsall I'm pretty sure scored well into stoppage time, great game. As was the Bobby McDonald one, Gleghorn a couple of weeks later was back in goal when Dibble picked up the same injury!!! but that time he scored before putting on the gloves against Palace.

Didsbury Dave said:
We've had a goalkeeper playing as an outfield player since then. That must be a pretty damned rare event. Players going in goal is one of the long-lost sights in football.

Hang on, didn't we not name a keeper sub on the bench a few years ago and end up with an injured keeper? Or an I dreaming? Maybe we just didn't name a keeper but never actually needed one.

I think we didn't name one but didn't need one either, as I remember.

I remember Martyn Margetson coming off the bench to play outfield in a League Cup game many years ago, back when you could only name 3 subs.

Some of our keepers would have been better off as outfielders!

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Wasnt there a game in the 60's when Harry Dowd was injured but didnt go off, just played outfield and scored! Who went in nets?

IIRC it was Glyn Pardoe who went in goal.

Actually Mike Doyle might have been one of the very few players to have done this more than once; I remember him going in nets in a game against Forest at Maine Road in 1975 or 76. City were already three down by that stage and Mike played in goal for most of the second half without conceding any further goals.

Who could forget when Dibble (I think?) got sent off and conceded a penalty, Quinny went in goal and promptly saved it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.