Outfield Players In Goal

jacko74 said:
Who could forget when Dibble (I think?) got sent off and conceded a penalty, Quinny went in goal and promptly saved it!

Apparently the squad at the time, used to have bets with Quinn on the training pitch to see how many he could stop!

jacko74 said:
Who could forget when Dibble (I think?) got sent off and conceded a penalty, Quinny went in goal and promptly saved it!
Against Derby, IIRC. Dean Saunders took the penalty. He must be in a very select club of players that have missed penalties for 3 different clubs, AGAINST THE SAME OPPOSITION! He missed against us for Derby, Villa and Liverpool (I think!).

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Wasnt there a game in the 60's when Harry Dowd was injured but didnt go off, just played outfield and scored! Who went in nets?

Dowd injured his arm and went off. City were 1-0 down due to a Colin Bell goal for Bury.

After a while Dowd returned to play up front with his arm in a sling to thunderous applause. He scored a late equalizer and the roof of the Kippax was nearly lifted off by the noise from the crowd.

jacko74 said:

Remember it like it was yesterday for some reason. I think it might have been the first time my Dad let me go in on my own with my mates. It was Coton who was in net & IIRC he threw his gloves at the ref before he went off.
Not only did Quinn tip the pen around the post but he came off his line & caught the corner! All round performance as he also scored. Loved Quinny then.

Silvercloud said:
jacko74 said:

Remember it like it was yesterday for some reason. I think it might have been the first time my Dad let me go in on my own with my mates. It was Coton who was in net & IIRC he threw his gloves at the ref before he went off.
Not only did Quinn tip the pen around the post but he came off his line & caught the corner! All round performance as he also scored. Loved Quinny then.
Indeed it was Coton and yes he threw his gloves at the ref so got banned for extra games meaning the ban finished the following season
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-OudU-1NQg[/youtube]

jimharri said:
jacko74 said:
Against Derby, IIRC. Dean Saunders took the penalty. He must be in a very select club of players that have missed penalties for 3 different clubs, AGAINST THE SAME OPPOSITION! He missed against us for Derby, Villa and Liverpool (I think!).

Correct mate. The game's against Liverpool and Derby, Saunders missed at the Platt Lane End. Quinn saved against Derby after replacing Coton in nets and he blasted over the ball for Liverpool. Fast forward a couple of years and he did the same for Villa at the Holte End at Villa Park on a snowy midweek evening. I was at all three.

Pigeonho said:
I was just 14 when Quinny did that. It was one of my favourite memories of Maine Road that. Big Niall saving a pen - who'd a thunk it!

His handling was brilliant for all the rest of the game mate. I'm only a few years older than your good self (36) and remember it well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.