Outfield Players In Goal

Blue Lloyd said:
Pigeonho said:
I was just 14 when Quinny did that. It was one of my favourite memories of Maine Road that. Big Niall saving a pen - who'd a thunk it!

His handling was brilliant for all the rest of the game mate. I'm only a few years older than your good self (36) and remember it well.
It was the only time I could get one up on my rag mates at school. Then Peter fucking Schmeichel appeared!

Pigeonho said:
I was just 14 when Quinny did that. It was one of my favourite memories of Maine Road that. Big Niall saving a pen - who'd a thunk it!

i was a bit younger than you pigeonho but have similar memories. think i wore out my season review vhs rewinding and rewatching the incident and save over and over again.

is it true quinn was a GAA player in his youth and used to play in goals?

I was at a game in the late 80s where Dibble had to go off injured
Having done his groin. Think it was Paul Lake that took over in goal.
I think it was against Chelsea in a game we lost 3-2. I was only about
7, sorry for the sketchy memory!

Pigeonho said:
Blue Lloyd said:
Pigeonho said:

His handling was brilliant for all the rest of the game mate. I'm only a few years older than your good self (36) and remember it well.
It was the only time I could get one up on my rag mates at school. Then Peter fucking Schmeichel appeared!

We finished higher than the Rags that season. However they only went and won the European Cup Winners Cup the twat's....

Still them getting beat in the League Cup Final against then Second Division Sheffield Wednesday was a quality, quality moment.

Blue Lloyd said:
Pigeonho said:
Blue Lloyd said:

We finished higher than the Rags that season. However they only went and won the European Cup Winners Cup the twat's....

Still them getting beat in the League Cup Final against then Second Division Sheffield Wednesday was a quality, quality moment.
5th to their 6th? I wasn't savvy enough to use that at that point, and fuck did I regret it afterwards from 92 onwards. God I hated that school.

petrusha said:
Wasn't there myself, but IIRC, Joe Corrigan was injured in the 1st half in a League Cup tie at Stoke early in the 1980/1, soldiered on until half time but didn't come out for the second period. Tommy Booth replaced him in goal.

We'd gone 1-0 down early in the game, before Corrigan even picked up his injury, and that was still the score at the interval. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, so we lost the first half, with our international 'keeper available, and won the second half, when our centre back replaced him. Another typical City event! :)

Ha! The reason for starting this thread was reading about the Stoke league cup game the previous season that went to penalties and someone asked if this was the 'Tommy Booth game'' - and I missed this out from the list of games I was at!<br /><br />-- Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm --<br /><br />
MCFCBen said:

This one doesn't ring a bell at all, went to all the games back then and Lakey never went in goal to my knowledge.
The two games Dibble went off are in my OP when Gleghorn went in nets both times.

MCFCBen said:

This one doesn't ring a bell at all, went to all the games back then and Lakey never went in goal to my knowledge.
The two games Dibble went off are in my OP when Gleghorn went in nets both times.[/quote]

You're right, cheers, the Chelsea game was the week before he went off injured against Walsall. Seem to remember we tried to rush him back and he suffered a recurrence of his injury inhis next game, but I can't remember who that was against and that is the game I am thinking of.

jacko74 said:
Who could forget when Dibble (I think?) got sent off and conceded a penalty, Quinny went in goal and promptly saved it!

It was Tony Coton sent off v Derby with Derby already down. A great volley from Quinny then a fabulous penalty save from Saunders (i think) down to his left.

A fab time in the North Stand that day and I even bought the Umbro Diamond T-shirt that Coton was wearing as he ran off the pitch.

Can't believe over 20 years ago

Who could forget when Dibble (I think?) got sent off and conceded a penalty

I remember that, good job the internet didn't exist then... can you imagine that now? Think of how many times you'd hear about an FA / Sky agenda, a top 4 cabal, or a conspiracy. Back then we just said "Ah bollocks" and then went "woooOOOAAAH!" to try to get Saunders to miss. More innocent times when we took ourselves less seriously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.