Outfield Players In Goal

warpig said:
Pigeonho said:
I was just 14 when Quinny did that. It was one of my favourite memories of Maine Road that. Big Niall saving a pen - who'd a thunk it!

i was a bit younger than you pigeonho but have similar memories. think i wore out my season review vhs rewinding and rewatching the incident and save over and over again.

is it true quinn was a GAA player in his youth and used to play in goals?

Quinn played both Hurling and Gaelic football at quite a high level including an all ireland minor ( under 18) hurling final. Not as a goalkeeper though.

How about when when we were Pearce brought on Weaver and James comes to the touchline and puts changes his shirt for an outfield players shirt and plays up front. I remember lookingat my around and everyone in the croud going WTF.

Had James scored from that headed corner Pearce would have been an absolute genius.

Mike D said:
How about when when we were Pearce brought on Weaver and James comes to the touchline and puts changes his shirt for an outfield players shirt and plays up front. I remember lookingat my around and everyone in the croud going WTF.

Had James scored from that headed corner Pearce would have been an absolute genius.

But James won the penalty that Fowler then proceeded to fuck up. I was gutted that afternoon. Really pissed off. After turning around a shit season to the cusp of automatic european qualification, and then blowing it in the final seconds of the season. Makes me so thankful of the situation we are in now.

B\connellblue said:
warpig said:
Pigeonho said:
I was just 14 when Quinny did that. It was one of my favourite memories of Maine Road that. Big Niall saving a pen - who'd a thunk it!

i was a bit younger than you pigeonho but have similar memories. think i wore out my season review vhs rewinding and rewatching the incident and save over and over again.

is it true quinn was a GAA player in his youth and used to play in goals?

Quinn played both Hurling and Gaelic football at quite a high level including an all ireland minor ( under 18) hurling final. Not as a goalkeeper though.
At the world cup in 1994 (possibly 1990), Ireland only named 2 keepers in their squad, and Quinn was their 3rd choice keeper.

Blue Lloyd said:
Mike D said:

But James won the penalty that Fowler then proceeded to fuck up. I was gutted that afternoon. Really pissed off. After turning around a shit season to the cusp of automatic european qualification, and then blowing it in the final seconds of the season. Makes me so thankful of the situation we are in now.

It was classic City. I knew Fowler was going to miss. It was inevitable, it was City. If I'd had a mobile at the time with some kind of in-play betting app I'd have put everything I had on it.

Was just wondering, say (god forbid) if Hart was sent off and Panti came on only to injure himself in a collision, who d you reckon we would put in goal?

Blue Streak said:
Mike D said:

No he didn't. It was a Lee Croft cross that was handled by (I think) Frank Quedrue.

I still believe that had Fowler scored then the following season's squad wouldn't have been able to cope with a UEFA Cup campaign and would've been relegated.

Best thing all round that he missed IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.