Overrated/underrated musicians and bands

Overrated: Oasis, The Smiths, Coldplay

Underrated: The Pixies, Tindersticks, Steely Dan, Belle and Sebastian, Earth, Wind & Fire

In a way it's difficult to pick an overrated artist because I just choose not to listen to their full catalogue. Sometimes it's just that one song to hook you in. Prince is a perfect example, his chart stuff was pretty dismal to me, but seeing him play the guitar makes me ashamed I haven't seen more of him.

And still haven't, because I reckon his albums will be crap when I try, but he was definitely some guitarist.

Well, since I just said this five minutes ago on @BlueHammer85's top 100 songs thread, I'll repeat it here . . .

"All about opinions, but I think Radiohead are far and away the most overrated band in the history of popular music. To me they're nails on a chalkboard. The voice, the lyrics, the sodden tempos, the whining, the hookless-ness, the songs that never seem to end, the drowning in atmospherics. I have absolutely never understood their appeal."

I also think Bob Dylan is overrated but his music isn't my style really.

The Beatles did some awfully self-indulgent stuff that sounds horribly dated today but they completely altered the face of music -- this thread doesn't exist without them. I don't really think they can be overrated though some of their tunes might be.

There's a side of me that says the Rolling Stones are overrated but I think the songs themselves are great -- I've always just thought their albums were poorly produced -- Keith's guitar in the mix is so often way too low and to me they've sometimes sounded like a Mick Jagger solo project instead of a band.
They cant be overrated as 1) they are still alive 2) they have a phenomenal catalogue of songs 3) even now they are pretty bloody impressive live 4) Keith Richards is just the coolest dude on the planet. Agree with you about the Beatles. Radiohead, the Bends was a great album, not convinced by later stuff.
How about Brian Ferry as overrated. Two or three good vocal performances on early Roxy albums then total shite. Surprised no one has mentioned (i've got a bit of sick in my mouth even for writing this) Simply Red. Sparks underrated, Killers overrated, Arctic Monkeys underrated.

Well, since I just said this five minutes ago on @BlueHammer85's top 100 songs thread, I'll repeat it here . . .

"All about opinions, but I think Radiohead are far and away the most overrated band in the history of popular music. To me they're nails on a chalkboard. The voice, the lyrics, the sodden tempos, the whining, the hookless-ness, the songs that never seem to end, the drowning in atmospherics. I have absolutely never understood their appeal."

I also think Bob Dylan is overrated but his music isn't my style really.

The Beatles did some awfully self-indulgent stuff that sounds horribly dated today but they completely altered the face of music -- this thread doesn't exist without them. I don't really think they can be overrated though some of their tunes might be.

There's a side of me that says the Rolling Stones are overrated but I think the songs themselves are great -- I've always just thought their albums were poorly produced -- Keith's guitar in the mix is so often way too low and to me they've sometimes sounded like a Mick Jagger solo project instead of a band.
If anything, despite sustained excellent for 60 years (maybe a brief spell in the 80s aside), Dylan has been underrated for most of his career. So much so, in fact, that much of his best work is unknown to a general audience.

A shining light in a world gone wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.