Overrated/underrated musicians and bands

They cant be overrated as 1) they are still alive 2) they have a phenomenal catalogue of songs 3) even now they are pretty bloody impressive live 4) Keith Richards is just the coolest dude on the planet. Agree with you about the Beatles. Radiohead, the Bends was a great album, not convinced by later stuff.
How about Brian Ferry as overrated. Two or three good vocal performances on early Roxy albums then total shite. Surprised no one has mentioned (i've got a bit of sick in my mouth even for writing this) Simply Red. Sparks underrated, Killers overrated, Arctic Monkeys underrated.

I do like Roxy Music and Ferry did okay solo stuff I guess -- Boys and Girls and Bete Noire from the 80s I liked -- but I still think he kind of got by on image more than talent. Bands with whom I have only a passing acquaintance from one album I find hard to rate, which would be the case in the others you mentioned -- I liked Hot Fuss by the Killers but haven't heard much else, e.g. Sparks I never cottoned to.

They cant be overrated as 1) they are still alive 2) they have a phenomenal catalogue of songs 3) even now they are pretty bloody impressive live 4) Keith Richards is just the coolest dude on the planet. Agree with you about the Beatles. Radiohead, the Bends was a great album, not convinced by later stuff.
How about Brian Ferry as overrated. Two or three good vocal performances on early Roxy albums then total shite. Surprised no one has mentioned (i've got a bit of sick in my mouth even for writing this) Simply Red. Sparks underrated, Killers overrated, Arctic Monkeys underrated.

yeah i agree on Brian Ferry. Were Simply Red ever rated??

Springstein, there i said it. Absolute shite, IMHO of course.

You gotta be from the northeast USA to understand Springsteen fully. My wife is and she loves him. I'm from California, so there you have it.

Whatever you think of his music, no one can deny he was simply the best in concert and an honest, hardworking guy to boot.

My favo(u)rite song of his is Blinded By the Light -- but as it was covered by Manfred Mann, not Bruce's version!

If anything, despite sustained excellent for 60 years (maybe a brief spell in the 80s aside), Dylan has been underrated for most of his career. So much so, in fact, that much of his best work is unknown to a general audience.

A shining light in a world gone wrong.

So if there are 2-3 albums of his you really, really love, what would they be? Willing to give him a go.

You gotta be from the northeast USA to understand Springsteen fully. My wife is and she loves him. I'm from California, so there you have it.

Whatever you think of his music, no one can deny he was simply the best in concert and an honest, hardworking guy to boot.

My favo(u)rite song of his is Blinded By the Light -- but as it was covered by Manfred Mann, not Bruce's version!
There was a film called Blinded by the light which was the true story of his influence on an English asian lad. Very good it was too and shows the boss spoke a universal truth. I have always liked him, ever since the NME headline "I have seen the future of rock and roll". Now I mainly listen to his more americana albums like Nebraska and the recent one western stars which is one of his very best. Like the Beatles, a one off and soundtrack to many of our lives.

There was a film called Blinded by the light which was the true story of his influence on an English asian lad. Very good it was too and shows the boss spoke a universal truth. I have always liked him, ever since the NME headline "I have seen the future of rock and roll". Now I mainly listen to his more americana albums like Nebraska and the recent one western stars which is one of his very best. Like the Beatles, a one off and soundtrack to many of our lives.

I very much like Nebraska, it's my favo(u)rite of his. My view is always that I can totally understand why people would be into him even if I'm not so much.

I can't understand that with Radiohead!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.