Overrated/underrated musicians and bands

shemnel

Everybody's music taste is different, and so inevitably there will always be bands, musicians and albums that seem, to the beholder, vastly misjudged.

I'm going to start;

Over-rated:

The Beatles - the most overrated band in musical history. Loads of decent songs, couple of outstanding, tonnes of dross. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is a good album at best. (note - i think the Beatles are good, but so far below the pinnacle on which they are held).

Van Morrison - forever dining out on 3/4 of one album. Total weapon to boot.
Eric Clapton - boring.
Radiohead - i like them but flippin' heck, not that much. God status undeserved.
The Eagles - going to go as far as to say shit.
AC/DC - why

Under-rated:

The Kinks - ok, some tosh, but brilliant and shadowed by the beatles
Talk Talk - amazing stuff
John Martyn - misanthropic warbler with amazing musical talent.

(nod to @BlueHammer85 thread where there was a brief discussion about Radiohead)

Sickening when I hear Beatles were overrated - they changed the landscape of pop music, extremely talented, innovative, beyond influential and played all styles of music! They were simply the best.

It’s tough this though, I try my best to respect all music - but I don’t get or warm to rap/hip hop so on that basis, I’ll chuck Eminem, Jay Z etc in the camp, rock/pop wise - I struggle with Metallica and a lot of heavy metal bands And pop/rock I’ll have to go with Queen.

Everybody's music taste is different, and so inevitably there will always be bands, musicians and albums that seem, to the beholder, vastly misjudged.

I'm going to start;

Over-rated:

The Beatles - the most overrated band in musical history. Loads of decent songs, couple of outstanding, tonnes of dross. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is a good album at best. (note - i think the Beatles are good, but so far below the pinnacle on which they are held).

Van Morrison - forever dining out on 3/4 of one album. Total weapon to boot.
Eric Clapton - boring.
Radiohead - i like them but flippin' heck, not that much. God status undeserved.
The Eagles - going to go as far as to say shit.
AC/DC - why

Under-rated:

The Kinks - ok, some tosh, but brilliant and shadowed by the beatles
Talk Talk - amazing stuff
John Martyn - misanthropic warbler with amazing musical talent.

(nod to @BlueHammer85 thread where there was a brief discussion about Radiohead)
totally agree about The Kinks. Brilliant band. I would add David Bowie to the over rated list just because he produced some absolute shite and other than early days was pretty crap live. Lou Reid should be on the underrated list.

Overrated - The Stone Roses Respect anyone's opinion but i can't agree. It's not that i hate them but they are just average to me, at best.

Underrated - Steely Dan. The greatest American band ever imo.

Steely Dan! i was going to type them in underrated but didnt feel i know them well enough to cast the opinion

Sickening when I hear Beatles were overrated - they changed the landscape of pop music, extremely talented, innovative, beyond influential and played all styles of music! They were simply the best.

It’s tough this though, I try my best to respect all music - but I don’t get or warm to rap/hip hop so on that basis, I’ll chuck Eminem, Jay Z etc in the camp, rock/pop wise - I struggle with Metallica and a lot of heavy metal bands And pop/rock I’ll have to go with Queen.

ha ha, sorry about the Beatles, i just cannot get onboard. I believe others were changing the landscape with them, i'd put Hendrix in the underrated category but perhaps some of his stuff is a bit boring so he perhaps is about where he deserves. Anyway, the Beatles, soz.

yeah it's all taste.

Well, since I just said this five minutes ago on @BlueHammer85's top 100 songs thread, I'll repeat it here . . .

"All about opinions, but I think Radiohead are far and away the most overrated band in the history of popular music. To me they're nails on a chalkboard. The voice, the lyrics, the sodden tempos, the whining, the hookless-ness, the songs that never seem to end, the drowning in atmospherics. I have absolutely never understood their appeal."

I also think Bob Dylan is overrated but his music isn't my style really.

The Beatles did some awfully self-indulgent stuff that sounds horribly dated today but they completely altered the face of music -- this thread doesn't exist without them. I don't really think they can be overrated though some of their tunes might be.

There's a side of me that says the Rolling Stones are overrated but I think the songs themselves are great -- I've always just thought their albums were poorly produced -- Keith's guitar in the mix is so often way too low and to me they've sometimes sounded like a Mick Jagger solo project instead of a band.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.