Pablo Maffeo

I can see you are quite passionate about this and I must confess to not reading all of the posts but, to raise a point you make about the club consistently claiming to promote youth. Surely you must acknowledge that to break through, you have to be better than the player you aim to replace. On that basis, it would be quite evident that Pablo, whilst an exceptional player, doesn't meet that criteria.

Whilst all fans will have view about x or y being good enough, we are not the best of judges.

It becomes more and more apparent with each passing day.

Since I initially posted it has become apparent that the club did insert a buy-back clause into the contract. My initial thoughts on this were based on reports at the time which suggested there was no buy-back clause.
It was apparent at the time when I was replying to you and knew.

Very surprised at this. He looked ready to be part of our first team squad. Really worries me that the EDS is just a ‘profit centre’ rather than giving genuine opportunities to some promising youngsters.
We are doing our best to compete with Chelsea on that front. Still a long way to go match them however.

Very surprised at this. He looked ready to be part of our first team squad. Really worries me that the EDS is just a ‘profit centre’ rather than giving genuine opportunities to some promising youngsters.
We are doing our best to compete with Chelsea on that front. Still a long way to go match them however.

Very much a similar theme in this thread to the Foden and Diaz threads.
I think some are desperate to have a Micah Richards, Johno, or a Paul Lake to cheer on. I wanted that player to be Maffeo, and because of the RB i bought my first foreign football top since Kinkladze moved to Ajax.

In reality though Pablo is neither good enough or consistent enough for City yet. He had some good games for Girona, and got a remarkable write up after starring in a game against Barca keeping Messi quiet for the majority of the game.

He has just signed a 5 year deal with VFB with a buyback if rumours are true. In 5 years we will have 2 Right backs at the age of 31 and 32 respectively. There is no reason why City cant buy back an even better, more experienced player in 3-4 years and have him replace one of the players currently with the club.

This isn't only a great move by the club but a very mature move by a youngster himself, and i really do hope that we see Maffeo playing for City in the next few years.

Good luck Pablo

Big clubs recognised years ago that their youth teams are a money spinner. I think that’s what they primarily are these days. If any ever truly show they are good enough for the first team they will play, if not they’ll all be off for £5-15m to decent but average clubs around Europe or the Championship - at their true level. I think we (and probably fans of all clubs) tend to overrate our youth players; “the next big thing” always seems to be coming through and they end up at Celtic or Celta Vigo.

Danilo, I presume we still need some home grown talent to keep in line with the rules.

Danilo was an okay reserve but not 25m worth, truth be told I would have preferred Mafeo to have stayed as the under study, he proved he could have handled it by the way he played in Spain last season.

I had my reservations on Danilo because people hoping he could play elsewhere than RB.

So Danilo not bein worth £25 million after his contribution this season....... X 2 champions league winner, Won the league title in every country he's played in now and has experience playing for Brazil and he cost £25 million, as back up to Walker as well.

He didn't prove anything apart from he was a promising talent, reality is he had 1 half a good season in La Liga and form dipped in the latter part of the season, IMO this Doesn't warrant him taking Danilos spot in the squad, 1 serious injury to Walker and that means Maffeo being a starter which isn't what we need for what we were trying to achieve.

His style of play doesn't exactly go hand in hand with our style neither.

As much as i'd of liked him to come back and get a squad number the reality is he isn't/wasn't what Pep wanted and I agree.

I had my reservations on Danilo because people hoping he could play elsewhere than RB.

So Danilo not bein worth £25 million after his contribution this season....... X 2 champions league winner, Won the league title in every country he's played in now and has experience playing for Brazil and he cost £25 million, as back up to Walker as well.

He didn't prove anything apart from he was a promising talent, reality is he had 1 half a good season in La Liga and form dipped in the latter part of the season, IMO this Doesn't warrant him taking Danilos spot in the squad, 1 serious injury to Walker and that means Maffeo being a starter which isn't what we need for what we were trying to achieve.

His style of play doesn't exactly go hand in hand with our style neither.

As much as i'd of liked him to come back and get a squad number the reality is he isn't/wasn't what Pep wanted and I agree.

Okay let us put it this way, we have just shattered nearly every premier record going and played with an injury prone defensive midfielder at left back and then an untired youth attacking midfielder as his under study.

And you are telling me that maffeo couldn't have coped playing in our team, really. I shall say zinchenko on more time.

I see you didn't address the need for home grown quota either, at some point we are going to have to trust one of them enough to be a back up like zin has been this season.

I am not unhappy with Danilo and what he did this season, what I said was we didn't need to buy him if we had given the slot to maffeo in the first place.

The excuse of he is not a pep player is wearing thin, he is young and talented and still learning, you aren't going to learn how pep wants to play the game away from the damned club are you.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.