Pablo Maffeo

Mendy and Maffeo plays in two different positions, so don't understand why he would have to be better than Mendy. We could end up playing around 60 games next season, and if Maffeo could play 20 of them, and be first choice in a couple years, that might have been a good enough offer to make him willing to be here
Maffeo is a very talented young player, but no, he is not better than Danilo. People regulary underrate players and often overrate young ones. You'll almost never find a 20-year old boy who is better than a seasoned veteran especially when the veteran has played for 4 big clubs by the time he's 26 years old. With that being said, Maffeo has intangible benefits such as being a homegrown player which one might argue would make him the better option at City than Danilo.

Either way, in the Chairman's interview part 2 that was just posted, they spoke about the importance of having buy-back options and being smart about youth players. Khaldoon said that sometimes it's just the right choice to sell them rather than continue to loan them out but that they've learned a lot over the years on transfers in general and how to get them right.

Real shame that we let him go, think he'd be a great back up to walker, however we reportedly have a £20m buy back clause which is a good price as I see him improving majorly and becoming a top player

Agreed, it's a really good price. We could bring him back in two or three years when he's starting to reach his potential (assuming the clause lasts that long).

It doesn't happen.

No move ever happens without a player accepting the transfer.
Does the player have to sign something to say that he is prepared to go back to the club or is that unlikely? And have there been any cases of a club having a buy back clause, activating it and the player refusing and the selling club selling for more elsewhere? I don't know why I expect you to know these things. :)

Never given a chance at city. Disappointing really. Foden and Diaz will be next out the door unfortunately.

These deals with buybacks are much more beneficial to all parties and they're going to get more and more common. I honestly think a deal like this makes it more likely that we see a player back at City with a realistic chance of breaking through, than via the traditional loan system. Stuttgart have invested in this player now and it's in their interest to get the best out of him. He also knows that if he continues to improve then City can come back in for him. If the buyback is around £20m as stated, then that essentially amounts to us paying Stuttgart a 10m development fee to get him ready for our first team. If he's deemed good enough for us in a couple of years time then we'll be talking about a player worth 30-50m available to us for just 20m. In an ideal world we'd be able to develop him ourselves but no top clubs are really in a position to throw kids into their first team for a meaningful number of games any more, you're seeing less and less of it.

These deals with buybacks are much more beneficial to all parties and they're going to get more and more common. I honestly think a deal like this makes it more likely that we see a player back at City with a realistic chance of breaking through, than via the traditional loan system. Stuttgart have invested in this player now and it's in their interest to get the best out of him. He also knows that if he continues to improve then City can come back in for him. If the buyback is around £20m as stated, then that essentially amounts to us paying Stuttgart a 10m development fee to get him ready for our first team. If he's deemed good enough for us in a couple of years time then we'll be talking about a player worth 30-50m available to us for just 20m. In an ideal world we'd be able to develop him ourselves but no top clubs are really in a position to throw kids into their first team for a meaningful number of games any more, you're seeing less and less of it.

No one does it better than Real Madrid.

Carvajal was sold to Leverkusen for €5m, bought back for €6.5m and has since made 200 appearances and won 13 trophies as a starter.

No reason Maffeo can't do the same, especially as I think Danilo will want to move on in 1 or 2 years. He's only 26 and came here because he was unhappy as a backup at Real. If he plays as little as he did last season, I think he'll ask to leave.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.