Pablo Maffeo

Big fan of Maffeo & would have been using him in the squad years ago, however, as I've posted previously, I don't think he's good enough as a footballer to be ideal for a Pep fullback & he's not big/fast enough, to balance it out & make up for the fact he's not a good enough footballer.

He's a proper old school fullback rather than an extra attacker, tbf not much less as a footballer than Walker really, but Walker is twice the size & much faster, which makes him much more of an asset.

Angelino is a much more 'Pep' player, but he can't defend. (Mind you he's probably better than Zinchenko).

There's no doubt Maffeo has looked like one of our very best young prospects in recent years, but i've never really thought his attributes really lent themselves to a future under Pep. He's a wonderfully tenacious and committed defender but while the attacking/technical side of his game has improved at Girona, i did struggle to see him ever claiming a spot in our first team. Hopefully we'll have got a reasonable fee for him and like others have said, you'd hope there was some kind of buy-back option in case he does keep improving his all round game.

Always seemed like a great lad so good luck to him.

Big fan of Maffeo & would have been using him in the squad years ago, however, as I've posted previously, I don't think he's good enough as a footballer to be ideal for a Pep fullback & he's not big/fast enough, to balance it out & make up for the fact he's not a good enough footballer.

He's a proper old school fullback rather than an extra attacker, tbf not much less as a footballer than Walker really, but Walker is twice the size & much faster, which makes him much more of an asset.

Angelino is a much more 'Pep' player, but he can't defend. (Mind you he's probably better than Zinchenko).
I think Angelino is the next in line to be sold. Both aren't good enough for Guardiola ATM. Similar situation to Maffeo's - 1 year left on his contract.

I think we will see far more deals like this over the coming years. Unfortunately, we will see far more being sold, than coming through into the first team. I guess we just have to hope that we don't have our own KDB situation in years to come.

Not at all surprised and delighted for him. Still developing and still needs to be playing consistently and at as high a level as possible. If we sign only two players this summer (say Jorginho/Mahrez), we are going to have 2-3 senior players not even on the bench most weeks, so what chance do his likes have? We can presumably buy him back in a few years by which time he will have had experience of playing in two top leagues. Good luck.

Good luck to the lad, I think the fee agreed (if true) says a lot about whether he was good enough for our first team.

I’d say it has more to do with the fact he only had one year left on his contract.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.