Paedophilia within the game/City launch redress scheme

One thing that fascinates me is if this abuse was so widespread and the kids were all so young that their potential would not be known at that stage how did the abusers never hit on a youngster who went on to be hi profile.

One thing that fascinates me is if this abuse was so widespread and the kids were all so young that their potential would not be known at that stage how did the abusers never hit on a youngster who went on to be hi profile.
How do you know they didn't?

They probably did mate, look at the amount of attention already on high profile players they're probably the least likely to come forward. Don't think the likes of White would have said anything while they were still playing either.

Wow so City knew?

I am not 100% certain

The bit from the BBC piece states

He said in his evidence that he thought chief scout Ken Barnes knew about the alleged abuse.

Mr Barnes played for City between 1950 and 1961. He died in 2010.

The man, the fifth complainant to give evidence against Mr Bennell in the trial, also named Mike Grimsley, who managed a Manchester City youth team, as another staff member he believed was aware of claims made against Mr Bennell.

Does that mean we 100% knew as a club?

I am not 100% certain

The bit from the BBC piece states

He said in his evidence that he thought chief scout Ken Barnes knew about the alleged abuse.

Mr Barnes played for City between 1950 and 1961. He died in 2010.

The man, the fifth complainant to give evidence against Mr Bennell in the trial, also named Mike Grimsley, who managed a Manchester City youth team, as another staff member he believed was aware of claims made against Mr Bennell.

Does that mean we 100% knew as a club?
That headline is a disgrace & I hope the club are all over it. There’s a big difference between “City knew” & testimony, with no proof, that the victim thought that two people may have known.

the media are fucking disgusting
using a man's pain for clicks.
fucking ghouls with no heart

IF anyone at city knew then the club needs to investigate this fully and i am sure they will.

On my phone so can't post a link, but the court today has heard that City are being sued by 3 of Bennell's victims.

I agree that that BBC headline is misleading and out of order. However, putting that to one side, would anybody be surprised if it turns out the club did know about the abuse claims, given that there is a propensity for organisations to sweep these things under the carpet - historical claims in particular - because they don't want the embarrassment of it coming out in public and having to deal with the shit storm afterwards? And let's be fair here - when you add in who our chairman was at the time, it wouldn't exactly be too much of a stretch to think the claims were largely ignored in the hope they would go away.

I would also add that City wouldn't exactly be alone in not acting upon this kind of thing. No doubt the vast majority of clubs name-checked in these wide-ranging abuse claims did the same. The FA too. And of course the BBC with Savile.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.