Painting and/or Decorating

S S

Summerbuzz

My flat badly needs renovating. Everything is in good nick but needs repainting or papering. I've seen my parents wallpaper (very effectively) and paint walls (not so impressive) but have no experience, and the rates for professionals makes them out of my reach.

I've got two mates - one of whom has DIY experience and a lot of enthusiasm but not a lot of time - the other seems to have a little bit of professional experience (at what level I couldn't say) but would need paying a basic rate.

Realistically, how much experience do you need to get a decent finish? If it was me + either one of the boys, how long would it take for a large-ish 1 bed flat?

The surveyor said I should use a vinyl matte then an eggshell - does that sound suitable? Is the quality of paint going to be important (I can probably stretch the budget a bit here)?

And is it generally easier to apply wallpaper well than paint?

Don't understand why anyone would suggest painting walls in matt and then (I'm assuming a water-based) eggshell on top.. not unless it's onto fresh plaster.

Painting is glorified colouring-in. If you take your time and buy a decent brush and roller then you'd undoubtedly achieve a decent finish.

Don't understand why anyone would suggest painting walls in matt and then (I'm assuming a water-based) eggshell on top.. not unless it's onto fresh plaster.

Painting is glorified colouring-in. If you take your time and buy a decent brush and roller then you'd undoubtedly achieve a decent finish.

Eggshell is for the woodwork, surely?

My flat badly needs renovating. Everything is in good nick but needs repainting or papering. I've seen my parents wallpaper (very effectively) and paint walls (not so impressive) but have no experience, and the rates for professionals makes them out of my reach.

I've got two mates - one of whom has DIY experience and a lot of enthusiasm but not a lot of time - the other seems to have a little bit of professional experience (at what level I couldn't say) but would need paying a basic rate.

Realistically, how much experience do you need to get a decent finish? If it was me + either one of the boys, how long would it take for a large-ish 1 bed flat?

The surveyor said I should use a vinyl matte then an eggshell - does that sound suitable? Is the quality of paint going to be important (I can probably stretch the budget a bit here)?

And is it generally easier to apply wallpaper well than paint?
Get one of the mates to do the cutting in and do the roller work yourself, that part is easy. Take your time. Don't use wallpaper, it gets filthy and it's a pain in the arse to strip, can destroy a wall if it's not stripped and allowed to build up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.