panic attacks

there is definately comfort in knowing that other people suffer them as well because when they strike you it leaves you feeling isolated and a detatched feeling from the world,the scary thing is the loss of rational thinking,your mind just goes into over drive..
Personally i wouldn`t wish them on anyone....

I still have what is known as 'Health Anxiety', it's basically the PC word for being a hypochondriac.

Today I have tightness in my upper chest radiating up to my neck and head. I have had this before and it went away. I have had numerous scans, ecgs, monitors on my heart and more than one cardiologist has said my heart is fine.

BUT, because of the health anxiety I think I'm having a heart attack or stroke. If it's not that, it must be a muscle wasting disease or something like that.

Google has made my problem 10x worse, because google 'chest neck tightness' and all you get is heart attack and angina warnings.

I used to have panic attacks but I don't get them anymore. I used to carry round diazepam but I don't anymore. The one thing which broke the cycle for me and stopped me having panic attacks was this book:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Help-Your-Nerves-overcoming/dp/0722531559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291206561&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Help-Your- ... 561&sr=8-1</a>

This book is no exaggeration a life-changer if you suffer from panic attacks and anxiety.

Have had Panic attacks since 1985 after a breakdown at work. (Pressure of work and drinking too much) I take Propranolol and Diazepam. I get the usual symptoms: Rapid heart rate, Sweating, Heavy breathing (feels like there is no air)
Jelly legs. If you met me you would NEVER believe I suffered like this.

I gave up smoking, drinking and draw. Helped a bit.

Some people are lucky and only get one or two or suffer for a few months. Others never get better and have chronic anxiety disorder (me).

They are AWFUL!! I still get them mainly in my sleep which wake me up at 4 and 5 am. Never really understood how I can get them when asleep.

I feel a tremor in my heart
That's what one feels at the start
A nightmare begins to unfold itself
Thoughts of uncertainty about your health
Avoidance is the cure for me.
Go nowhere ......see nobody,
A lonely world, an alien existence
your problems are all that you enhance.
Dwell on troubles, negative thoughts,
It's not just you who’s "out of sorts".
Yes it is a sad, mad world
but you have reasons for your panic.
You're not going down like the Titanic.
Positive things will come from this experience.
Yes, one day it will all make sense.
You'll be happy and free from all of this.
Panic is something you'll not miss.
The future is bright and you will have love,
If not down here then from above.
It is the most horrific event.
From hell these panic attacks were sent.
There is a way into perfect health,
when the Panic Monster will panic himself,
then you will realise he can be slain,
get that knowledge and lose your pain.
Don't let this Monster make you dull,
Enjoy your life to the full!
Fly free again like a beautiful dove
and remember the power of positive love.
"People like us" have a lot to offer,
and we definitely do not deserve to suffer.
Remember you are a wonderful soul
who would love to simply rock n' roll.
With the gift of life and power to love too,
I hope these words mean something to you.
So good luck and to you I wish a positive life.
Say goodbye to all of this trouble and strife.
And if you panic, do it in style,
and know that it goes away in a while.
And remember you've made some new friends,
Coz "people like us" care about how it ends.

===============

A book which helped:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/products/panic-attacks-ingram" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/products/ ... cks-ingram</a>

The 11/7 breathing technique is quite good.

You breath out for 11 seconds very slowly and you breathe in for 7 very slowly. Keep doing this till you calm down. The idea is to expel the carbon dioxide which builds up during a panic attack.

I've been suffering from the buggers for 25 years and they can take over your life if you are not careful.

I can't see me ever being able to do all the things that 'normal' people do and there are many situations (flying, heights, open spaces) that I avoid. Even CBT therapy and hypnotism failed. It was too deeply routed by the time I tred to do something about it.

It needs nipping in the bud. If someone could have explained to me properly what was going on back in 1985, I'd have eradicated the problem almost straightaway but such things were taboo in those days. People did not discuss mental health issues.

yeah I saw a psychologist in 1985 at Manc Royal. He gave me a relaxation tape and told me to relax more.

The tape had a phone ringing in the background! My job was dealing with customer complaints at a fast moving Japanese Electronics company.

Phones were an issue! Great help Mr Psychologist.

DD said:
The 11/7 breathing technique is quite good.

You breath out for 11 seconds very slowly and you breathe in for 7 very slowly. Keep doing this till you calm down. The idea is to expel the carbon dioxide which builds up during a panic attack.

I've been suffering from the buggers for 25 years and they can take over your life if you are not careful.

I can't see me ever being able to do all the things that 'normal' people do and there are many situations (flying, heights, open spaces) that I avoid.
Even CBT therapy and hypnotism failed. It was too deeply routed by the time I tred to do something about it.

It needs nipping in the bud. If someone could have explained to me properly what was going on back in 1985, I'd have eradicated the problem almost straightaway but such things were taboo in those days. People did not discuss mental health issues.

im in the same boat, i won't go on a plane to go and watch city in europe (wich i want to do so fucking bad and it pisses me off that my head wont let me, so i can only go on coaches which takes ages) i just avoid doing stuff with my daughter like going play group and taking her out just incase i pass out / panic / dehydrate / die while im with her n i really hate that.

another thing i used to get i don't any more no idea what it was, is when im asleep randomly stop breathing in my sleep and suddenly wake up feeling numb, thats weird!

it's amazing how many people suffer from this, like some others have said i went through a good 2 or 3 years thinking it was just me and i was a weirdo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.