Paradise Papers Leak

Just highlights sad people who are motivated by money and material things. I don't earn a wedge, but I am comfortable and live within my means, and guess what? I'm happy with my lot.

I'm still waiting for the double rollover but in the meantime I have the ST, the choice of which bike to ride and which cafe to have the coffee in. What would I do with another bike and another cup of coffee?

It really is.

And I’ve already mentioned the hypocrisy of some of those involved.
You mentioned the hypocrisy of non entities like Bono.

What I am referring to is the hypocrisy of corporations who take the benefit of "flexible" working arrangements, transport infrastructure etc but pay their taxes elsewhere. Who exploit what this country can offer but do not contribute to the public services required to keep it going. I refer to those organisations/individuals who govern or significantly influence public decisions yet do not contribute to the public "pot".

When people lose faith in governing institutions then democracy suffers.

You mentioned the hypocrisy of non entities like Bono.

What I am referring to is the hypocrisy of corporations who take the benefit of "flexible" working arrangements, transport infrastructure etc but pay their taxes elsewhere. Who exploit what this country can offer but do not contribute to the public services required to keep it going. I refer to those organisations/individuals who govern or significantly influence public decisions yet do not contribute to the public "pot".

When people lose faith in governing institutions then democracy suffers.
I also agree that all corporations should be tax in the country the turnover and profit originates.

There’ll never be a supranational agreement on it though as most of the biggest companies are American and would lobby against it and win (just look at the NRA for a powerful lobby).

The Yanks can’t even be arsed to save the planet and have hamstrung the EPA so they aren’t going to agree to ensure the UK gets its tax money from Amazon or Starbucks.

So none of you chaps have pensions then? If you do then it’s more likely than not that they have shares in offshore companies. Making you as guilty as Bono.

So none of you chaps have pensions then? If you do then it’s more likely than not that they have shares in offshore companies. Making you as guilty as Bono.
Yep, fair one, that's exactly the same thing.

Why is everyone picking on Bono by the way? Have no other celebrities, or sports personalities been named yet? Surely Beckham, or Giggs, or GPC must be involved??? Or even better, Charlton!

I'll be paying income tax on my occupational pension when I receive it.

No it isn't.

When most of the working population have had no real pay rise for a decade or so, when zero hours contracts have multiplied, when employment rights have been reduced and when essential public services have been significantly diminished......................then the actions and principles of the governing classes (and I include the major corporations in this) are fundamental to people's perception of fairness and reasonableness.

Whether it is legal or not is not the point - these activities (tax avoidance/tax evasion - call it what you will) simply stink of hypocrisy and craven self interest to most people who have had to put up with austerity.

It undermines the trust in government and governance.

Excellent post fellah,

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.