Paradise Papers Leak

Maybe if you put things into context that the Guardian is a loss making company on its print producing section and has been for some time. The profits it makes are mainly from its investments Auto Trader being one of them before it was sold. This is a case of moral judgement and that I am afraid there is no right or wrong answer.

A lot of the work the Guardian does in its reporting like on the panama papers, Sports Direct exploitation, and MP's sex scandal would be ignored by the largely right wing media that we have in this country. I don't agree with what the Guardian have done but on the other hand value the work that they do.
As I say, a simple “sorry fella, I was wrong” would have sufficed after you wrongly corrected him based on information 11 years out of date without fact checking.

There is nothing to defend.
People investing in off shore funds is not illegal. Every fund managed in London will have some offshore assets.
It's the moral outrage by people who have no idea that I don't like. Now when they give evidence of illegal financial instruments being used then it will be a story but at the moment it's just envy.
If you want you could make the same argument about ISAs. Why should people who have enough money to invest in an ISA get away with not paying tax? What about the poor who have no savings, it's not fair that they have to pay tax!! What about people who's pensions invest in offshore instruments? Why should they get away with not paying tax?

It's all nonsense. If you changed the law to prevent these investments the UK would be very much poorer overnight and anyone with enough money to do so would fuck off to everywhere else in the world where the moral outrage police don't rule the roost.

What a crap argument.
Every penny I pay into my isa has been taxed before it goes into the isa.

What a crap argument.
So has every penny that goes into a savings account or investment vehicle such as a unit trust but they are still taxed (above the threshold on savings income). The crap argument is one I’m quoting.

Last edited:
What a crap argument.
Yeah, but you save the 20p a year tax you'd pay on the interest, you bastard.

Let's be honest, this isn't about honest people putting a bit of money aside in a tax free overseas savings account, which anyone can do, this is complex tax dodging. It's having your salary paid to a company in Mauritius and then having them loan you back the money so that you avoid paying income tax and national insurance on your salary. If that's not criminal, it absolutely should be. As if inflicting Mrs. Brown's Boys on us wasn't enough, ffs.

Yeah, but you save the 20p a year tax you'd pay on the interest, you bastard.
You on about?

I’ve got clients with ISA portfolios worth well over £500k that made 18% in the last year alone.

You really think that’s a 20p tax saving?

Fucking love these threads where 95% of respondents haven’t got a fucking clue about the subject matter.

this isn't about honest people putting a bit of money aside in a tax free overseas savings account, which anyone can do,
It’s illegal if you don’t declare and pay the tax due above your personal savings allowance.

There is no tax savings for a UK tax resident.

You on about?

I’ve got clients with ISA portfolios worth well over £500k that made 18% in the last year alone.

You really think that’s a 20p tax saving?

Fucking love these threads where 95% of respondents haven’t got a fucking clue about the subject matter.

You can keep teaching them. You do love to do that don't you ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.