Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

What? I don’t get this have they let a bloke fight in the woman’s competition then?

Khelif, who, note, is not a trans woman, has never changed sex. She is an 'intersex person: she has always socialized as a woman and has a sporting history in female competitions,' explains Rosario Coco, president of Gaynet and Coord. Outsport. 'It is not clear - the reconstructions are conflicting - whether Khelif and Lin Yu-ting, another intersex athlete in the same situation, had to undergo chromosomal or hormonal tests. In any case, it would be a case of Variation of Sex Characteristics, an umbrella definition that includes intersexuality. What we know for sure is that we are dealing with two athletes with a career in women's sports. In Khelif's case, it should be noted that Algeria also prohibits gender changes on documents - adds Coco - The case is very similar to that of Caster Semenya, who after being excluded by World Athletics won her case at the ECHR in 2023 after years, but did not have the right to compete, thus seeing her career completely compromised.'

Yep, a quick search and it appears Khelif has always been a woman even from birth and it is illegal to transition in Algeria anyway. But unfortunately they are intersex so have the benefits of high testosterone and male chromosome, been banned in other events but the IOC have took a more relaxed approach.

I get my Olympic coverage from a mixture of MCFC 1993 and Eurosport
I hadn’t realised I had Eurosport on my TV. Had seen some on Discovery+ as well as BBC. I must admit that I’ve always been a BBC stalwart but the people they have commentating and punditing (is that a word?!!!) has dropped and got a little stale.
Let’s hope it gets better with the Athletics. I’ve always liked Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis. The others I put up with mainly, Colin Jackson is a lap usually ok.

I hadn’t realised I had Eurosport on my TV. Had seen some on Discovery+ as well as BBC. I must admit that I’ve always been a BBC stalwart but the people they have commentating and punditing (is that a word?!!!) has dropped and got a little stale.
Let’s hope it gets better with the Athletics. I’ve always liked Michael Johnson and Denise Lewis. The others I put up with mainly, Colin Jackson is a lap usually ok.
Is Discovery plus subscription based?

Yep, a quick search and it appears Khelif has always been a woman even from birth and it is illegal to transition in Algeria anyway. But unfortunately they are intersex so have the benefits of high testosterone and male chromosome, been banned in other events but the IOC have took a more relaxed approach.
Failed gender tests for the world championships so should be nowhere near the Olympics

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.