Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Bit harsh Eccles! The whole greatest sportsman is silly and for some reason Balding has generally been a bit excitable at these Olympics but Murray has been a great Olympian and it was the Olympics that really ignited his career so I think that's why they've talked it up so much. British men's tennis was mostly in the doldrums for decades and decades before he came along, it's only sport but within that context he's been a warrior.

I will however concede that he's no John Boy ;-)
I’m sorry. This was a time when I really should have waited until I’d calmed down before commenting.
I concede that he did reignite tennis in Britain but I just have this blind spot which of course I shouldn’t have. There’s something about him that I can’t stand.
He was the best tennis player since Fred Perry and I should just have acknowledged that and not let personal animosity creep in. :-( :-)

I will stick to just being an OTT supporter of Mr Stones. ;-)

Tennis maybe, the best British player since Fred Perry yes but not overall Sportsman I’m afraid. Not forr red me anyway. ;-) :-)

I'd agree with both sentiments but after being fed a diet of Tiger Tim and a Canadian imposter it was nice to have a genuine champ - I wish Andy well in retirement and I hope he takes his wry sense of humour into commentary

You get to a point in the Olympics where you see someone - eg Simone Biles, Usain Bolt and Daley Thompson and many others and you sometimes don't see you are watching once in a lifetime talents. I am reminded of a chat I had with my 85 year old Dad in which he said City of 68, 69 even to 74 and you don't realise this is peak performance followed by decades of crap - he is so happy to have lived to see the last decade with City

How can Murray, who has retired more times than Frank Sinatra, be the greatest SportsmanBritain has produced?? Clare Balding is delusional. He has earned a living at tennis!!! Made a fortune at tennis!!
There are dozens of people who beat Mr Retirement to that accolade. IMHO
Isn't this the first time he has retired??

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.