Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Are you on the sherry early.
All 3 play for Argentina.
How could you forget Otamendi?
You know I thought that but read somewhere that said Otamendi for France!! I should trust myself not other people. Sorry. (I have had a stressful morning though with electrical problems and visions of having to fork out for a new fridge/freezer. It turned out ok but...) :-)

F8G8gWJWkAAwz6c.jpg
A mate of mine was still saying "mirrow" when we were about 16. I always suspected he had the word wrong throughout our childhood but assumed it just sounded like he said "mirror" differently. It was only when I saw him write it down that I knew for sure that he was a fuckwit. ;)

People used to refer to darts players as athletes back in the day, athletes or the definition of athletes has shifted over the years and if he's just in the conversation because he played in the Olympics I am not having it.

He was top of the tennis tree for 41 weeks overall (Pretty impressive) but not exactly mind blowing.
Somebody shooting a gun has been referred to as an athlete just now. Not for me

A mate of mine was still saying "mirrow" when we were about 16. I always suspected he had the word wrong throughout our childhood but assumed it just sounded like he said "mirror" differently. It was only when I saw him write it down that I knew for sure that he was a fuckwit. ;)

Harsh :)

When I was a nipper I always pronounced soldiers as shoulders, some things never change.

Not sure you know
He’s got to be the greatest British tennis player 3 majors and 20 years at the top so you’d have to rank him against the best of British in remaining sports

For me despite how brilliant they are at what they do I couldn’t personally name a Golfer, F1 Driver, Darts player, snooker player and a few more as the greatest athlete

Edit
I’ve just realised that wouldn’t work as you could think 4/5 athletes from the same sport are still better than him

Still think he’s in with a shout of making the top 10 though
No chance. Depending on how you define "athlete", I suppose. Would Lewis Hamilton be classed as one? Hmm. Ignoring him, though....

Redgrave
Pinsent
Hoy
Kenny
Cavendish
Ennis
Holmes
Thompson
Piggott (?)
Perry (8 grand slams compared to Murray's 3)

I'd rank all them above Murray. You can maybe argue about Ennis and Holmes, but I didn't want to be accused of being sexist by not including a lady or two. Don't get me wrong; Murray was a fantastic player, and was the one who ended that long barren run of a home winner at Wimbledon, going back to Wade. But my nod would go to Redgrave; gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics. That trumps Murray. In my opinion anyway

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.