Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

No chance. Depending on how you define "athlete", I suppose. Would Lewis Hamilton be classed as one? Hmm. Ignoring him, though....

Redgrave
Pinsent
Hoy
Kenny
Cavendish
Ennis
Holmes
Thompson
Piggott (?)
Perry (8 grand slams compared to Murray's 3)

I'd rank all them above Murray. You can maybe argue about Ennis and Holmes, but I didn't want to be accused of being sexist by not including a lady or two. Don't get me wrong; Murray was a fantastic player, and was the one who ended that long barren run of a home winner at Wimbledon, going back to Wade. But my nod would go to Redgrave; gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics. That trumps Murray. In my opinion anyway
Max Woosnam tops them all.

Won the tennis doubles at the Olympics

Won The Wimbledon doubles

Captained The Davis Cup GB team

Captained City, Chelsea and England in football.

Scored a century at Lords for England (was known as the MCC back then)

Made a maximum 147 in snooker

Was probably the best player in the world at table tennis at the time

Max Woosnam tops them all.

Won the tennis doubles at the Olympics

Won The Wimbledon doubles

Captained The Davis Cup GB team

Captained City, Chelsea and England in football.

Scored a century at Lords for England (was known as the MCC back then)

Made a maximum 147 in snooker

Was probably the best player in the world at table tennis at the time

He doesn't top them all though. If he'd have won something as a snooker player, footballer or cricketer then maybe. But he was an all-round amateur who was good at lots of things. Ultimately he won the tennis doubles and the Wimbledon doubles. Murray has won the Olympics twice, Wimbledon twice and the US open in the professional era and probably the toughest era of all time. You wouldn't get away with playing multiple sports these days because you'd end up being not quite good enough in all of them. It was a different time.

Murray is right up there, whether he's the greatest ever...probably not.

No chance. Depending on how you define "athlete", I suppose. Would Lewis Hamilton be classed as one? Hmm. Ignoring him, though....

Redgrave
Pinsent
Hoy
Kenny
Cavendish
Ennis
Holmes
Thompson
Piggott (?)
Perry (8 grand slams compared to Murray's 3)

I'd rank all them above Murray. You can maybe argue about Ennis and Holmes, but I didn't want to be accused of being sexist by not including a lady or two. Don't get me wrong; Murray was a fantastic player, and was the one who ended that long barren run of a home winner at Wimbledon, going back to Wade. But my nod would go to Redgrave; gold medals at 5 consecutive Olympics. That trumps Murray. In my opinion anyway

Bradley Wiggins could be up there, although there have been question marks over him post-retirement. Tour de France winner and 4 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze in the Olympics. I personally think Chris Froome would be in the top 10. He wasn't the personality of Wiggins and stole his thunder to some degree so never got the plaudits he should have. Le Tour is one of the hardest sporting events in the world and he won it 4 times. He won La Vuelta twice and the Giro. He got two Olympic bronze medals on top of that. Mo Farah would be in that list as well. I'd have Kelly Holmes in there doubling up on 800m and 1500m which is insanely difficult. Ennis I wouldn't, it's a tough sport but she won it once.

Tommy Fleetwood tied 3 ways for first in the golf. Almost finished his second round.
What happens if all 3 finish on gold?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.