Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

I can understand the female commentators excitement at the rowing but she is beginning to irritate me were her near hysterical barkings out. In a shrill, dramatic voice... "Can they do it, Will they do it, It's now or never, They want win, There's 8 men in a boat rowing for their lives?"

There are ZERO people assigned thier sex at birth , all eggs have X chromosomes the sperm has either an X or Y chromosome so for the vast majority are either XX or XY . Some have extra Y or X very few just have X & no Y (XO)
Nearly all people born in the developed world are assigned a sex at birth and it almost never has anything to do with their individual genetic profile (as that is almost never tested at birth). The only criterion used to determine the sex to be placed on someone’s birth certificate for 99% of individuals is whether they have a vagina or a penis.

The point @SkyBlueFlux was making is that sex (and, by extension, the entirely social construct of “gender”) is far more complex than that, with people who possess vaginas and/or penises exhibiting collections of characteristics (genetic in origin or otherwise) that do not neatly fit in to either societies normally narrow “male” or “female” constructs, or the very limited and simplistic nature of sex and gender that most have been taught in school (which itself causes many of the problems already discussed in the thread).

FWIW, there are 6 “common” sex karyotypes, with many more less common ones based on permutational possession of X and Y chromosomes, with scientists still debating whether it is accurate to define humans as only have two sexes based on possession of XY or XX combinations.

I think this is an interesting primer on the debate for anyone interested.

Womens windsurfing final about to start, guaranteed a medal. Based on the first 16 races Emma Wilson is a class apart. Hopefully she can get the gold.

The Archery QF, France v Indonesia. They always score 9 or 10 with each arrow, occasionally an 8. The Indonesian needed 8 or above to win but hit a 5. Shows the pressure they are under. I like this sport.

The Archery QF, France v Indonesia. They always score 9 or 10 with each arrow, occasionally an 8. The Indonesian needed 8 or above to win but hit a 5. Shows the pressure they are under. I like this sport.
Also, as I said earlier in the thread, one of a handful of actual practical skill competitions in the Olympics, which makes it even more interesting to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.