Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Commentators currently (rightly, in my opinion) taking the piss out of cyclists still using 150 year old tech of safety pins to attach number placards to themselves whilst absolutely everything else in the sport as advanced exponentially.
I was watching a skiing competition a few years ago and a bib came loose.
The competitor got her bib stuck on with some kind of tape.
She was Immediately disqualified.
The explanation was that the pins, bib, or some sort of tag attached to the bib were actually a tracking device.

I was watching a skiing competition a few years ago and a bib came loose.
The competitor got her bib stuck on with some kind of tape.
She was Immediately disqualified.
The explanation was that the pins, bib, or some sort of tag attached to the bib were actually a tracking device.
They often have an RFID tag embedded in the placard.

But the focus of their amusement was that pins are still used to affix them. There was a close up of several coming undone on one of the cyclists, which could end up leading to them sticking in to them as they pedal.

I believe they actually now have shirts that have a place for very simple screen printed numbers/letters and a small Velcro closure sewn in for tags, which are used for some races now.

My guess is the IOC and Paris planning committee just chose to use the very old method to save money.

The windsurfing is a joke format. British girl absolutely dominated this event, then has to go into a final where they all start even. Fucking daft

Format changed for this Olympics, presumably for excitement? You could argue make a mistake in the final and you lose out no matter how good you were in the heats same as other sports. But I always assumed the reason sailing stuff was conducted over a cumulative series was because unlike say sprinting, there are more environmental factors that the competitors can't control. So averaging things out over a number of races made it less a question of luck and more of skill. Perhaps any resident sailors can explain further.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.