Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

GB currently leading the mixed triathlon, just gone third. Hopefully Potter the better runner. Good race

Back to first, can she outrun the yank and German?

Another fucking silver! The bbc commentators were telling us it was all over in the cycling keg from Potter, unfortunately Justin out of it

Lyles wins gold in the men’s 100m by a mm.

Can’t wait for VAR to get involved 15 minutes from now.

Puzzled about this. Haven't been following the Olympics at all, but just watched this one several times. If you freeze it, and try to go frame by frame, it looks pretty clear to me that a) Thompson's toe is just ahead of Lyles's over the line but b) Lyles's head is definitely ahead of Thompson's.
What are the rules on this? Which part of the body counts?

P.S. Wanted the Jamaicans to win, because I'm fascinated by the fact that a relatively small island produces among the best sprinters in the world. I've watched that 100m relay gold in London 2012 over and over and over. Truly, it is a marvel to behold.

Edit: actually, reverse that. Thompson's foot is ahead by quite a long way. Lyles's head is very slightly ahead i.e. 0.005 seconds, I suppose, according to the camera.
It strikes me as odd that, in a footrace, it's the head that appears to take priority.

Puzzled about this. Haven't been following the Olympics at all, but just watched this one several times. If you freeze it, and try to go frame by frame, it looks pretty clear to me that a) Thompson's toe is just ahead of Lyles's over the line but b) Lyles's head is definitely ahead of Thompson's.
What are the rules on this? Which part of the body counts?

P.S. Wanted the Jamaicans to win, because I'm fascinated by the fact that a relatively small island produces among the best sprinters in the world. I've watched that 100m relay gold in London 2012 over and over and over. Truly, it is a marvel to behold.
I thought it was the chest/torso but could be wrong

I thought it was the chest/torso but could be wrong

Well yes. Freeze in right on the line, and you'll see that Lyles's torso is very slightly ahead as well. That would confirm what you're suggesting. Torso makes sense as well. But not — to me — as much as foot.

Basically, I'm saying I still want Thompson to win it!

Talking about photo finishes GB have just been downgraded from silver to bronze based on a late photo. Fucking incompetence, following the shooting fuck up yesterday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.