Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

We have 2 girls in the athletics pole vault. So the bbc coverts china v Korea badminton on one channel and china v Korea shooting on the other. Brilliant
Absolute abysmal coverage by the BBC throughout. The worst for me was when they changed channels in the hockey as GB got a penalty corner, from which they scored, so we all missed it.

It's interesting. I don't know if anyone on here has been posting on the “UK far right trouble” thread at present Probably not.
If you cross-reference them — there was a fair old discussion/disagreement about Patriotism v Nationalism (which I was part of, incidentally; I rigorously distinguish the two; others see them as basically the same). This thread is an object lesson in people feeling patriotic, apparently, without being nationalistic (I'm a bit of a patriot, although not much, and my problem with the Olympics has always that I don't basically give a toss about anything except track and field, and even then there are things that I find offer endless hours of boredom). It shows the difference very precisely, to my mind. People feeling patriotic without feeling the need to hate other groups of people, and especially not other ethnic groups.
I sort of dislike the table, and always have. Not because Britain (or France, my other country) never head it. Don't care about that. But it seems to go against the spirit of the games. Yes, there's got to be a winner in all events. Whether there needs to be a collective winner by country, though, second, third, etc.? Doesn't follow, for me.
Haven't watched so much as thirty seconds of any event so far (well, have watched the 100m final on playback, but that's under ten seconds anyway). Will almost certainly watch the women's 800m tonight, because GB's got a pretty good chance of getting a medal, but also because well, Keely's rather cute, isn't she? Also a Lancashire girl, which is never a bad thing.

Absolute abysmal coverage by the BBC throughout. The worst for me was when they changed channels in the hockey as GB got a penalty corner, from which they scored, so we all missed it.

I queried the coverage as well, and someone replied about Discovery+ having the main rights, so BBC have to make do with a couple of streams only. Seems a pretty poor state of affairs when the national broadcaster can't afford to put on comprehensive coverage of the Olympic games!

Had the swimming on and popped out the other day so put the tv on pause. Safe to say, when I came back, I got 15 minutes swimming…
Why they don’t just put it on BBC2 and leave it there is one of the great mysteries.

I queried the coverage as well, and someone replied about Discovery+ having the main rights, so BBC have to make do with a couple of streams only. Seems a pretty poor state of affairs when the national broadcaster can't afford to put on comprehensive coverage of the Olympic games!
I think someone said on here that the exclusive live rights were over £1bn. Apparently, the Beeb decided they couldn't justify that outlay. I suppose non-sports fans (yes; such people do exist!) would have been up in arms about it.

I think someone said on here that the exclusive live rights were over £1bn. Apparently, the Beeb decided they couldn't justify that outlay. I suppose non-sports fans (yes; such people do exist!) would have been up in arms about it.
Even Sports fans would have been up in arms about it I would reckon. £1bn from the National Broadcaster when everyone is complaining about what it pays its presenters plus having to pay a licence fee. Where would they get the money from?

I get that, but it’s the amount of cock ups they keep having. Bigging up a race they’re about to show, but we already know the result. Changing channels at the most inappropriate time. Too much emphasis on certain sports… eg Gymnastics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.