Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Since when did not crossing the line in a race constitute a medal position? I thought you had to cross the line to finish, thereby getting gold (obviously), silver, bronze. I don't watch athletics much but seeing these photo finishes shows that 2nd and 3rd places are determined when the winner crosses the line, not when the others finish their race.

Take the women's 200m. Won handsomely by the US and then two metres back the other places are decided. Wierd,

GB Schedule
7th August

The first event of the day is indeed golf and doesn't warrant further investigation!

Matthew Hudson-Smith v Quincy Hall v Kirani James in the 400m is the one to watch for me. We have a genuine chance of gold but Hudson-Smith will probably need to break his British Record from London, 3 weeks ago.

08:00 – Golf – Women’s Individual Stroke Play – Round 1 – Charley Hull (GBR) – Tee time 09:44, Georgia Hall (GBR) – Tee time 12.17
09:00 – Diving – Men’s 3m Springboard – Semifinal – Jordan Houlden (GBR), Jack Laugher (GBR)
09:00 – Sport Climbing – Men’s Boulder & Lead, Semifinal lead – Toby Roberts (GBR), Hamish McArthur (GBR)
09:15 – Athletics – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Round 1 – Cindy Sember (GBR)
10:10 – Athletics – Men’s 5000m – Round 1 – Patrick Dever (GBR), George Mills (GBR), Sam Atkin (GBR)
10:55 – Athletics – Men’s 800m – Round 1 – Elliot Giles (GBR), Ben Pattison (GBR), Max Burgin (GBR)
11:03 – Sailing – Women’s Kite – Races 7-16 – Eleanor Aldridge (GBR)
11:23 – Sailing – Men’s Kite – Races 8-16– Connor Bainbridge (GBR)
11:30 – Skateboarding – Men’s Park Prelims – Andrew Macdonald (GBR)
11:45 – Athletics – Women’s 1500m – Repechage Round – Reeve Walcott-Nolan (GBR),
11:45 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Qualifying – Hamish Turnbull (GBR), Jack Carlin (GBR)
12:13 – Sailing – Men’s Dinghy – MEDAL RACE – Michael Beckett (GBR)
12:26 – Cycling Track – Women’s Keirin – First Round – Katy Marchant (GBR), Emma Finucane (GBR)
12:52 – Cycling Track – Women’s Team Pursuit – First Round – Elinor Barker, Josie Knight, Anna Morris & Jessica Roberts (GBR)
13:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 64 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
13:43 – Sailing – Mixed Multihull – MEDAL RACE – John Gimson & Anna Burnet (GBR)
14:00 – Diving – Women’s 3m Springboard – Preliminary – Grace Reid (GBR), Yasmin Harper (GBR)
14:10 – Cycling Track – Women’s Keirin – Repchages – If Katy Marchant (GBR) and/or Emma Finucane (GBR) struggle.
14:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 64 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
16:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 32 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
16:30 – Skateboarding – Men’s Park - FINAL – If Andrew Macdonald (GBR) qualifies.
17:33 – Cycling Track – Men’s Team Pursuit – FINAL – Australia v Great Britain
17:42 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 32 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
17:57 – 18:28 -Cycling Track – Women’s Team Pursuit – FINALS – If Elinor Barker, Josie Knight, Anna Morris & Jessica Roberts (GBR) qualify.
18:05 – Athletics – Men’s 110m Hurdles – Semi-Final – Tade Ojoro (GBR)
18:35 – Athletics – Men’s 400m Hurdles – Semi-Final – Alastair Chalmers (GBR)
18:38 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 16 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
19:13 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 16 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
19:45 – Athletics – Women’s 400m – Semi-Final – Amber Anning (GBR), Victoria Ohuruogu (GBR), Laviai Nielsen (GBR)
20:20 – Athletics – Men’s 400m – FINAL – Matthew Hudson-Smith (GBR)

Athletics Schedule
06:30 – Marathon Race Walk Relay Mixed - FINAL
09:05 – Men’s High Jump – Qualification
09:15 – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Round 1
09:25 – Women’s Javelin Throw – Qualification
10:10 – Men’s 5000m – Round 1
10:55 – Men’s 800m – Round 1
11:45 – Women’s 1500m – Repechage Round
17:45 – Women’s Pole Vault – FINAL
18:05 – Men’s 110m Hurdles – Semi-Final
18:15 – Men’s Triple Jump – Qualification
19:02 – Men’s 200m – Semi-Final
19:25 – Men’s Discus Throw – FINAL
19:45 – Women’s 400m – Semi-Final
20:20 – Men’s 400m – FINAL
20:43 – Men’s 3000m Steeplechase - FINAL
Thank you as always. :-) you are a star and deserve a Triple Gold medal

Bet on the wrong yank. Had a feeling they’d be so focused on each other, they’d forget the rest of the field. Kerr was supremely confident, he’d seen the race a million times in his head. He’d seen beating Inga a million times, not winning gold.

Last edited:
Sounds an arrogant tw@t doesn't he. He is the fastest though, but if the race isn't anything special speedwise that gives Kerr more of a chance.

Not paid that much attention, but it's being billed as between them - I wonder if someone else could surprise them?

Not even sure who else is in it...
hold that thought? ;-) Wow!

THAT was sweet, and no medal for Ingerbrigtsen. Oh baby...

(yes, I'm catching up on coverage, and that was amazing)

Congrats Hocker, insane race and an OR.
If you go back and watch the beginning, all 3 US runners stayed together for the majority of that run, but it was Universtiy of Oregon and now Blacksburg, VA runner Cole Hocker who was originally on the outside, struggling to keep up with Nuguse and Kessler while Ingebrigtsen was on that insane early pace. I didn't see him initially having the gas to pull that off.

The Kenyans got too close to that early pace, and faded down the stretch. Nuguse was one I thought had a shot, and was within a whisker of silver behind Kerr. Kudos to Kessler finishing 5th for the 1-3-5 amazing race. Wow, I said a couple days ago it might be someone from the other 2, but I certainly didn't see THAT.

Wow, just realised Thomas is graduate of Harvard (undergad) with degrees in neurobiology and global health, and of University of Texas (graduate) with a degree in epidimeology.

I mean, wow! Brains, beauty, and brawn!
NBC has done some great segments on her research and volunteer work at the University of Texas along with her training, just an all around great person and athlete. I very much agreed with all your observations.

If you run 100m in 10s, does that make 5/1000ths of that 5mm? I know they all ran sub 10s, but for easier calculations...
You need to calculate from their top speeds which is around 43km/hour which is 12m/s. So 0.005 seconds at 12 metres per second is 6cm.

Last edited:
Some of you who are old enough to remember Johnathan Edwards breaking the triple jump world record twice in the world championships. That record has been standing for near 30 years.

I think Jordan Diaz or Jaydon Hibbert may run this very close or beat it. Id be surprised if it still stands this Olympics or even during their careers.

I hope they don't do it though lol

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.