Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Sydney McLoughlin's utter dominance of her semi-final was startling; she is a phenomenon. There's no doubt the final will be closer, but, good lord, what an athlete.
I'm not convinced Bol will even get close. Mclaughlin decimated the field without breaking a sweat.

View attachment 127618This, seems to me that this is where the race positions are decided

To be fair, the photo finish image is a bit confusing, and never properly explained by commentators or pundits.
The image isn't a typical photograph, as in a snap shot of a point in time. It's more of a time line of sequential photos. The four narrow lines in that image are all the finish line. The image produced above is essentially lots of images of the finish line (take, like one every 0.001 seconds) laid out in sequence.

This might explain it more clearly: https://speedendurance.com/2016/09/18/understanding-how-a-photo-finish-camera-works/

View attachment 127618This, seems to me that this is where the race positions are decided
That is a series of very thin photos of the exact finish line taken at 1/1000 sec intervals that are then stitched together to look like a single photo (with the part on the right being earlier than the part on the left). Hence the weird angles on some of the arms and legs. It isn't a single point in time.

GB Schedule
7th August

The first event of the day is indeed golf and doesn't warrant further investigation!

Matthew Hudson-Smith v Quincy Hall v Kirani James in the 400m is the one to watch for me. We have a genuine chance of gold but Hudson-Smith will probably need to break his British Record from London, 3 weeks ago.

08:00 – Golf – Women’s Individual Stroke Play – Round 1 – Charley Hull (GBR) – Tee time 09:44, Georgia Hall (GBR) – Tee time 12.17
09:00 – Diving – Men’s 3m Springboard – Semifinal – Jordan Houlden (GBR), Jack Laugher (GBR)
09:00 – Sport Climbing – Men’s Boulder & Lead, Semifinal lead – Toby Roberts (GBR), Hamish McArthur (GBR)
09:15 – Athletics – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Round 1 – Cindy Sember (GBR)
10:10 – Athletics – Men’s 5000m – Round 1 – Patrick Dever (GBR), George Mills (GBR), Sam Atkin (GBR)
10:55 – Athletics – Men’s 800m – Round 1 – Elliot Giles (GBR), Ben Pattison (GBR), Max Burgin (GBR)
11:03 – Sailing – Women’s Kite – Races 7-16 – Eleanor Aldridge (GBR)
11:23 – Sailing – Men’s Kite – Races 8-16– Connor Bainbridge (GBR)
11:30 – Skateboarding – Men’s Park Prelims – Andrew Macdonald (GBR)
11:45 – Athletics – Women’s 1500m – Repechage Round – Reeve Walcott-Nolan (GBR),
11:45 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Qualifying – Hamish Turnbull (GBR), Jack Carlin (GBR)
12:13 – Sailing – Men’s Dinghy – MEDAL RACE – Michael Beckett (GBR)
12:26 – Cycling Track – Women’s Keirin – First Round – Katy Marchant (GBR), Emma Finucane (GBR)
12:52 – Cycling Track – Women’s Team Pursuit – First Round – Elinor Barker, Josie Knight, Anna Morris & Jessica Roberts (GBR)
13:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 64 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
13:43 – Sailing – Mixed Multihull – MEDAL RACE – John Gimson & Anna Burnet (GBR)
14:00 – Diving – Women’s 3m Springboard – Preliminary – Grace Reid (GBR), Yasmin Harper (GBR)
14:10 – Cycling Track – Women’s Keirin – Repchages – If Katy Marchant (GBR) and/or Emma Finucane (GBR) struggle.
14:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 64 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
16:30 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 32 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
16:30 – Skateboarding – Men’s Park - FINAL – If Andrew Macdonald (GBR) qualifies.
17:33 – Cycling Track – Men’s Team Pursuit – FINAL – Australia v Great Britain
17:42 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 32 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
17:57 – 18:28 -Cycling Track – Women’s Team Pursuit – FINALS – If Elinor Barker, Josie Knight, Anna Morris & Jessica Roberts (GBR) qualify.
18:05 – Athletics – Men’s 110m Hurdles – Semi-Final – Tade Ojoro (GBR)
18:35 – Athletics – Men’s 400m Hurdles – Semi-Final – Alastair Chalmers (GBR)
18:38 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 16 – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) qualify.
19:13 – Cycling Track – Men’s Sprint (Individual) – Round of 16 Repechages – If Hamish Turnbull (GBR) and/or Jack Carlin (GBR) struggle.
19:45 – Athletics – Women’s 400m – Semi-Final – Amber Anning (GBR), Victoria Ohuruogu (GBR), Laviai Nielsen (GBR)
20:20 – Athletics – Men’s 400m – FINAL – Matthew Hudson-Smith (GBR)

Athletics Schedule
06:30 – Marathon Race Walk Relay Mixed - FINAL
09:05 – Men’s High Jump – Qualification
09:15 – Women’s 100m Hurdles – Round 1
09:25 – Women’s Javelin Throw – Qualification
10:10 – Men’s 5000m – Round 1
10:55 – Men’s 800m – Round 1
11:45 – Women’s 1500m – Repechage Round
17:45 – Women’s Pole Vault – FINAL
18:05 – Men’s 110m Hurdles – Semi-Final
18:15 – Men’s Triple Jump – Qualification
19:02 – Men’s 200m – Semi-Final
19:25 – Men’s Discus Throw – FINAL
19:45 – Women’s 400m – Semi-Final
20:20 – Men’s 400m – FINAL
20:43 – Men’s 3000m Steeplechase - FINAL

Hopefully some more gold today for GB.

I would love to see Hudson-Smith get gold, but I think it's a tough ask. He's got James on the inside of him which doesn't help, if he can run his own race then he's got a chance but with the pressure on in the final I can see him being affected by James inside him and going out too hard and suffering late on. Hope I'm wrong. It's certain to be a class final and a very quick time though.

My favourite competitor has to be Granny Hasaan the long distance runner.
Rocks up in her socks and cardy putting all the young-uns to shame by breezing past them at the end.

Thanks. I looked on the discovery plus website where it shows GB competitors but it didn’t show any, maybe not competing today?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.