Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

These climbers have really struggled with this wall. It’s probably too hard a course.
If a lot of people are falling at the same hold, especially if it's low down the wall, it's usually a problem with the route setting. You don't want a single really difficult move on lead climbing, because it's supposed to be a test of endurance over a long time. Tomoa Narasaki is one of the best climbers in the world and he got taken out by a move that apparently claimed quite a lot of others (I didn't get to see the whole thing). And now we don't have arguably the best climber in the final. The perfect lead climbing route should have a fairly even spread of people falling off at different points and only one person making the top.

If a lot of people are falling at the same hold, especially if it's low down the wall, it's usually a problem with the route setting. You don't want a single really difficult move on lead climbing, because it's supposed to be a test of endurance over a long time. Tomoa Narasaki is one of the best climbers in the world and he got taken out by a move that apparently claimed quite a lot of others (I didn't get to see the whole thing). And now we don't have arguably the best climber in the final. The perfect lead climbing route should have a fairly even spread of people falling off at different points and only one person making the top.
I’m no expert, but it seemed that the first scoring zone had a very slippy white block that the climbers struggled to get foot traction on, resulting in their arms and fingers getting tired and no doubt playing mental games in their minds too as well.

Then that fatigue starting too early and making most fall between 20 and 40.

It is the same for everyone though, so still fair, but like you say, it became a bit of a lottery as to who went though.

Enjoyed watching and learning though.

That is a series of very thin photos of the exact finish line taken at 1/1000 sec intervals that are then stitched together to look like a single photo (with the part on the right being earlier than the part on the left). Hence the weird angles on some of the arms and legs. It isn't a single point in time.
Every day is a learning day

That is a series of very thin photos of the exact finish line taken at 1/1000 sec intervals that are then stitched together to look like a single photo (with the part on the right being earlier than the part on the left). Hence the weird angles on some of the arms and legs. It isn't a single point in time.
So is it offside or not?

Watching the speed climbing. Quite exciting.

I'm struck though that there's a playoff for bronze between the 2 semi final losers. Same in the tennis, and pretty much all other events.

However, the semifinal losers in the Boxing both get bronzes. Why the difference?

I'd understand if it's something to do the physicality of the sport, I'd almost say fair enough. Except our British guy who won a bronze only won 2 fights to get to the semifinal. Seems pretty easy compared to some other sports to get a medal?

Watching the speed climbing. Quite exciting.

I'm struck though that there's a playoff for bronze between the 2 semi final losers. Same in the tennis, and pretty much all other events.

However, the semifinal losers in the Boxing both get bronzes. Why the difference?

I'd understand if it's something to do the physicality of the sport, I'd almost say fair enough. Except our British guy who won a bronze only won 2 fights to get to the semifinal. Seems pretty easy compared to some other sports to get a medal?
In boxing it’s because it’s such a potentially dangerous sport, they’d rather give 2 bronzes than risk a serious head injury in a bronze medal bout

There’s a lot of very good cyclists and cycling nations out there. Not sure how many of the remaining 10 golds we can realistically get?

There’s a lot of very good cyclists and cycling nations out there. Not sure how many of the remaining 10 golds we can realistically get?
Well we've got gold and silver from the first 2 events and we're in the gold medal race of the 3rd tonight. Top 4 in qualifying for the 4th event where we will try to qualify for the medal race.

I think Emma Finucane is the big hope, they expect 2 more golds for her.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.