Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Women's team pursuit at 18:17, chance to win bronze.

That would be medals in all 4 track cycling events so far.

Cheers for this -great news. I wasn’t aiming for a complete list just where I thought our best hopes lie. Anything to get us up to 60 medals :-)
Being a FOC I just worked out we have the worst Gold to Overall medal ratio of the Top Ten nations :-(.

We have come along way from the days where you could name every gold medalist because there were about three of them. But as much as we have had medal successes we have managed to throw gold away in quite a few, and far too many really. It's a harsh position to take, but at the elite level that's how it is.

Peaty, Proud, Richards all probably should have won. Joe Clarke should have won the canoe cross. The pole vaulters not qualifying was ridiculous, we could have had gold there. Kerr last night. Women's triathlon, Potter was the best runner but on the women's and mixed couldn't hold it together for gold.

Anyway, let's hope someone breaks the drought soon. Hudson-Smith I can sadly see suffering the same fate and ending up third, hope I'm wrong as I would love for him to take gold. Was superb at the diamond league and still seems to have the form, but the others look back on it.

I reckon we've got a lot of medals left in us yet. Silvers and bronzes though, which won't do us good in the final standings, but still really impressive

Has anyone seen anything about a reputable entity doing simulations of how quickly a human being could conceivably run the 110m hurdles?

No matter how fast someone gets, this is one of those where there is a fastest possible time that can be achieved based on the structure of the course and the mechanics of a natural human body (so no PECs), in perfect conditions, and I am curious what that is.

I have seen simulations of human locomotion to try to determine the most efficient running technique for median build on a flat surface, but nothing related to hurdling or other structured course events.

Very interesting that the American hurdler intentionally ran the first qualification heat comically slowly (coming well last) to give himself two more days to nurse an injury before running flat out in the repechage heat today and qualifying that way.

It is smart if you know you are not quite there fitness wise but I wonder if the IOC will make adjustments to the new “last chance” rounds for the next games to prevent similar gaming of the qualification process?

Excellent ride from the women for bronze, we’re really stacking up the number of silvers and bronzes now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.