Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Amazing the American got second. First Olympics for him too.

Just so. And I could be wrong on this, but I don't remember the Americans particularly shining in the steeplechase traditionally. It seems to be very much the preserve of Africa, and specifically east Africa. Probably because in parts of the continent you have to go to school that way every day, anyway…
;-)

I don't know why, I'm always pleased for the Moroccans. Maybe because I have such a shining memory of Morocco when I spent a few weeks there in the seventies. Probably changed a lot. The most moving thing in the 2004 Games was, for me, Hicham El Gerrouj. Sure, Kelly Holmes was great, and I was really made up for her. But when El Gerrouj broke down and sobbed on his knees at the end of that 1500m race, while being cradled by (I think) a Kenyan, well, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to have felt it.
Then he went and doubled it by taking the 5000m title a few days later. Hadn't been done for eighty years!

Agreed - the lottery funding has made a huge difference as had more professionalism in a lot of the sports. Still a bit disappointing compared to 2016 and 2020 (2021); hopefully a few more golds to come
Also you have to factor in that there have been quite a few instances where GB athletes have only just missed out on gold narrowly (last night in the 400m is a good example) which is why the Team GB target is always in terms of total medals won rather than specific numbers of gold (as bad luck or other factors on the day can easily be the difference between gold, silver or bronze even if the overall standard of the athletes is high). The target for Paris 2024 was 50-70 medals and we are on course to meet that comfortably (currently 49).

Agreed - the lottery funding has made a huge difference as had more professionalism in a lot of the sports. Still a bit disappointing compared to 2016 and 2020 (2021); hopefully a few more golds to come
Quite a few of the Olympians have thanked the Lottery funding. I’m going to do the Lottery on Saturday now. ;-) :-)

That’s the smoothest baton changes I’ve seen from a GB 4 x 100 metres relay (women)

Check out the Jamaican men's team in London, 2012 (which I'm sure you have, many times). I simply go back to it again and again and again on Youtube. It's not sport. It is a work of art.
And the baton changes, by God the baton changes! Never seen anything like it in relay racing.

Just watching Matt Hudson Smith interview on BBC, comes across as a really nice guy. Read up on him, unbelievable to read that he attempted suicide a few years ago - what a recovery and he was heroic last night

Just so. And I could be wrong on this, but I don't remember the Americans particularly shining in the steeplechase traditionally. It seems to be very much the preserve of Africa, and specifically east Africa. Probably because in parts of the continent you have to go to school that way every day, anyway…
;-)

I don't know why, I'm always pleased for the Moroccans. Maybe because I have such a shining memory of Morocco when I spent a few weeks there in the seventies. Probably changed a lot. The most moving thing in the 2004 Games was, for me, Hicham El Gerrouj. Sure, Kelly Holmes was great, and I was really made up for her. But when El Gerrouj broke down and sobbed on his knees at the end of that 1500m race, while being cradled by (I think) a Kenyan, well, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to have felt it.
Then he went and doubled it by taking the 5000m title a few days later. Hadn't been done for eighty years!
I have a fondness for Morocco. Many years ago I actually had a meeting with the Prime Minister (at the time) and Minister of the Economy (long story but it caused a change to the Morocco foreign exchange regulations) - my only claim to fame! Visited Morocco a lot in the 2000 to 2010 and really liked the people - nice to see them get their first gold yesterday

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.