Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

The reality is that Thiams numbers are overall far superior to KJT’s and simple analysis shows that. It beggars belief that the bbc just tell us that KJT is winning after 2 events, nothing about the metrics for the remaining events. It isn’t China. I assume they are too busy protecting paedophiles and rapists, and sucking off united and liverpool

What really pisses me off with the BBC is that you have a lot of presenters with absolutely fuck all sporting knowledge. They've not even bothered to do homework. Their role is to be nice and polite, talk up GB's chances (or Simona Biles) and then handover to people who have retired from the sport to provide more detail. To give credit to Clare Balding, she at least had looked into some of the swimmers and previous competitions and provided more than most have.

It doesn't help the general impression of Team GB. They've hyped up so many, who have then not delivered gold, and then they try and provide an excuse or mitigation for them.

Realistically for KJT to win she needs to have the performance of her life and hope Thiam is below her best to win gold. But getting round all 7 events would be a start!

What really pisses me off with the BBC is that you have a lot of presenters with absolutely fuck all sporting knowledge. They've not even bothered to do homework. Their role is to be nice and polite, talk up GB's chances (or Simona Biles) and then handover to people who have retired from the sport to provide more detail. To give credit to Clare Balding, she at least had looked into some of the swimmers and previous competitions and provided more than most have.

It doesn't help the general impression of Team GB. They've hyped up so many, who have then not delivered gold, and then they try and provide an excuse or mitigation for them.

Realistically for KJT to win she needs to have the performance of her life and hope Thiam is below her best to win gold. But getting round all 7 events would be a start!
Typical UK media in general isn’t it? Hype everyone up to the greatest in the universe ever, then when they drop them like a sack of spuds and tell everyone they were shit after all!!

Typical UK media in general isn’t it? Hype everyone up to the greatest in the universe ever, then when they drop them like a sack of spuds and tell everyone they were shit after all!!

That's usually the case, but the BBC are playing the sympathy card which I find worse! They have these videos of people as kids, go to their families watching at home, talk them up as gold medal champions elect, then when they lose say "well they weren't the favourite" or "it was always going to be a very tricky race". It's okay to criticise and say they didn't implement their race well enough or do things well. The two pole vaulters should have been absolutely torn to pieces for failing three times the way they did. Caudery's best this year wins gold last night, but she went in too high and was out in the qualifying. That's stupidity and deserves calling out.

Such an unusual sport. That Mondo bloke started jumping over a bar onto his couch as 5 year old and it progressed from there. His parents had to open up the garden gate so he could have a longer run up to the massive bar and mattress they had in their garden. Thats how the world champion got into. Like I say one of a few weird track and field sports out there.
Watched the ladies pole vault last night, one girl couldn’t clear one of the later height because her pole was too short. She obviously didn’t have the nerve to try a longer one. Has anybody ever snapped one and got impaled on the broken bit?

Watched the ladies pole vault last night, one girl couldn’t clear one of the later height because her pole was too short. She obviously didn’t have the nerve to try a longer one. Has anybody ever snapped one and got impaled on the broken bit?

I remember like 5 years ago there was a college pole vaulter who impaled his scrotum after clearing the bar and it went viral.

But the flex point of the pole is quite low down, and all the force is when it’s compressed at the beginning of the jump so I think when they snap, the pole vaulter is usually at the beginning of the jump and falls backwards on their back rather than falling down onto a sharp, snapped pole.

This is from 2012. It also doesn’t count as a failed jump if your pole breaks.

Women’s example

Fucks sake, back to the better informed Discovery plus. I didn’t used to mind Hazel Irving but her patronising tone is doing my napped in, and I’ve got no fucking interest at all in listening to Jade Johnson’s best gobshite scouse mate. Got more chance of seeing the actual Taekwando live that way. I wonder when it will dawn on the bbc that their montages are repetitive, jingoistic and frankly boring

Edit just checked, I’m watching the first semi final live, the bbc are showing the quarter final from 45 mins ago

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.