Paris 2024 Olympics Thread - 11th August (pg 430)

Impressive fight back from the US against Serbia but it looked to me like the referees were trying to get them through to the gold medal game at the end. Some very suspect officiating over the last 5 minutes or so.
This goes back to one of the reasons I have never really been that interested in basketball (in the same way as I don’t care for boxing or figure skating): the officials have an outsized influence on the outcome compared to many other sports due to the extreme subjectivity and leeway in making calls and the relative impact of each call on the game due to the number of players, shear count of interactions, and the structure of play.

It has always appeared to me to be one of this easiest sports to fix via officiating (and it be very difficult to detect), if one wanted to do so.

Trained at GB but without access to funding from uk sport. Boxed well tonight so far regardless of how the last round goes

Thought she might have sneaked it with the point deduction but no complaints really, her opponent landed the better shots in each round. No shame in bronze!

Reactions: ell
Was listening on 5 live and they reckoned the refugee had done enough, more attacking and the point deduction

It's basically whether you favour quality of work or volume and being the aggressor, it was a subjective fight, Cindy was very game but her opponent was much longer and was able to keep her at bay and land some flashy counters on Ngamba coming in which sways the judges.

US v France in the gold medal men’s basketball game at the Paris Olympics is one supremely optimised match up for viewership and engagement.

Almost like it was manufactured. ;-)

beer-craft.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.